cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shuyssoon
Community Member

How do I add a column to my grade book in Canvas

Good evening,

I would like to know how to add a column to my grade book without creating an assignment/module.

Thank you.

Sara

8 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@shuyssoon , welcome to the Canvas Community! In order to better help, what is the purpose of the column you would like to create? Knowing this will help us know what we can recommend/suggest to meet your needs. Also, as a side note, Modules don't have anything to do with the gradebook/grades or columns in the gradebook. Could you maybe mean Assignment Groups? Those are what you create on the Assignment Index page to organize assignments and/or to use to weight different types of assignments. Just want to make sure we're using the same language so we don't end up confusing each other! 🙂

shuyssoon
Community Member

Hi,

The reason I would like to add a column to my grade book in Canvas is because I created a content instead of an assignment. I didn't want to confuse my students by deleting that content and creating a new assignment. I hope this message made sense.

Thank you.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

To be clear, you added content to Canvas (like a page or file?) that was actually something the students did and needed a grade in the gradebook?

Is this correct? If so, then the only way to add the grade is to add an assignment. Yet, what you can do is copy/add the content you already created into the assignment and then delete the content and keep the assignment. That way there is no duplication and hopefully confusion for the students. 

shuyssoon
Community Member

Hi James,

Thank you so much for the information!

kburkes
Explorer

We are new to Canvas, only doing a pilot so far, but we did note that everything in the grade book has to be connected to an 'assignment' -- assignment, assessment, discussion, etc. that will be graded.  Unlike Blackboard (where we are switching from -- Yay!) you cannot make a grade book column as a 'stand alone' -- i.e. not connected to an assignment.  As faculty, this is different, but as a Canvas Admin, I rejoice because I think it will help faculty to only have those columns that are needed, and not a bunch that are created on the fly, then hidden and forgotten about, causing lots of problems.

Hi Stefanie,

I totally agree with you. Thank you for the information...it was helpful!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @shuyssoon ...

I noticed that there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for almost two months, so I wanted to check in with you.  It looks like you've received some good feedback from  @kona  and kburkes.  Did any of their responses help to answer your question?  If so, please go ahead and mark one of their responses as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help with your initial question, please let members of the Canvas Community know by posting a message below.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions/comments below related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Sarah.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!

shuyssoon
Community Member

My question was answered. Thank you for the help!

Sara Huyssoon

Associate Faculty

Office Technology

Mt. San Jacinto College (SJC Campus)

1499 N. State St.

San Jacinto, CA 92583

(951) 487-6752

shuyssoon@msjc.edu