cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

How do I add numerous Test Students to my course?

Jump to solution

I would like to add test students to my course so I can test out the grading system. For curving and so forth I need more than one test student. How do I do that?  I don't want to wait and  make all my mistakes on real students.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

erasmuse@indiana.edu​, the answer to your question is: It depends. If your school does not have SSO with authentication, and allows you to create users, and allows you to add users to your courses, you can create as many users as you'd like with fake email addresses (I use mailinator.com). Then, it still depends; if your school allows you to add students manually to the course, you can invite all of those users into the course and use them for any testing purposes you'd like. (I like to have a nice big contingent of students to test group discussions, for example.)

However, again, this depends. If you do this in a live course, your students will see the test students just as if they were regular students, and might think that they need to interact with them. Consider doing all of your testing in the test environment (which is https://[yourschool].test.instructure.com); in the test environment, you can kick the tires as much as you'd like, using your real students, without affecting your live instance. For more information on the test environment, please refer to How do I access the Canvas test environment?

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

erasmuse@indiana.edu​, the answer to your question is: It depends. If your school does not have SSO with authentication, and allows you to create users, and allows you to add users to your courses, you can create as many users as you'd like with fake email addresses (I use mailinator.com). Then, it still depends; if your school allows you to add students manually to the course, you can invite all of those users into the course and use them for any testing purposes you'd like. (I like to have a nice big contingent of students to test group discussions, for example.)

However, again, this depends. If you do this in a live course, your students will see the test students just as if they were regular students, and might think that they need to interact with them. Consider doing all of your testing in the test environment (which is https://[yourschool].test.instructure.com); in the test environment, you can kick the tires as much as you'd like, using your real students, without affecting your live instance. For more information on the test environment, please refer to How do I access the Canvas test environment?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Surveyor II

I am also interested in adding test students to my sandbox as I am a learning technologist at my university. Other than test students, is there a way to test new features as an instructor. In my sandbox, I do not have sections like a real class, I am not able to create separate MIcrosoft Teams meetings for different sections in the same course shell. Being able to run testing using mock up students and teachers would be very helpful. 

0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels