cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

How do I align a quiz question with an outcome?

I am looking to align single questions within a regular quiz to different outcomes.

5 Replies
Highlighted
Navigator

emily_redding@nobl.k12.in.us,

I'm not sure if you're aware of the Canvas Instructor Guide. It has a section on Outcomes that explains everything that you never wanted to know about outcomes and sometimes leaves out the things that you do want to know.

That guide contains an round-about answer in the document: How do I align an outcome with a question bank? 

I'm not used outcomes much and when I did it was by linking them a rubric, so someone may have a better answer. But unless I'm missing something, outcomes are not aligned with individual questions. Outcomes can be aligned to question banks and questions from question banks can be brought into a quiz. If there was a single question that you wanted aligned with an outcome, you would put it into a question bank, perhaps with other questions that measure the same outcome, and then bring the question into the quiz. 

Here are some additional documents from the Instructors' Guide that may help

You can also align outcomes with rubrics criterion, but that doesn't seem to be what you're asking for. Still, here is the documentation on that: How do I align an outcome with a rubric in a course? 

All of that is for the current Quizzing engine. I answered the way I did based off your "regular quiz" comment. I have not explored Quizzes.Next, but it seems that things are handled a little differently there and that you can associate an outcome with a single question without putting it into a Question Bank first. For more information about this, see https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12506-71670794717 

Highlighted

James,

I did see that document.  However, we are going to be using these quizzes as warm-ups.  So, we need the entire class to have the exact same questions not just questions over the same topics.

Also, we do not have access to the Quizzez.Next features.

I need to be able to take a quiz that is already made and align each question individually with a specific outcome.  Is this possible?

Highlighted

So, we need the entire class to have the exact same questions not just questions over the same topics.

This is already possible. You can have a question bank with just one question in it. You can also have a question bank with multiple questions that all measure the same outcome and then just choose just one of them by finding questions from a question bank and including it in the quiz as explained in How do I create a quiz by finding questions in a question bank? 

I need to be able to take a quiz that is already made and align each question individually with a specific outcome. Is this possible?

This is the issue. As far as I know, without Quizzes.Next, you cannot assign an outcome to a question that did not originate in a question bank. This means that you would not be able to add them to an existing quiz.

If you want to do this prior to Quizzes.Next, you would need to create the questions inside question banks and then [re]create the quiz using those questions from the banks.

Technically, the a version of the questions are probably already in a question bank somewhere. When you create questions directly through the Quizzes interface, they were added to a Question Bank in the course where they were created called "Unfiled Questions". However, they are not updated there when the questions are revised, so they may not be the current version. They are also all lumped together with no organization other than the question name you supplied when you created the question.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

0 Kudos
Highlighted

No, this was never really answered!

0 Kudos
Labels