cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

How do I allow a student to resubmit an assignment

My student did a paper and it had to be submitted through turnitin.com and I want to allow her to redo her paper but I am not sure how to allow her to resubmit it.  I changed the due date but she is saying that it will not allow her to resubmit a different paper.  Please help.

4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi Nicole,

I think this might help explain how resubmitting an assignment works: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10082-415254251 

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi h1559823@hindscc.edu -

When using TurnItIn, if the due date has passed, the instructor first needs to delete the initial submission. Then, the student can submit again. It's an interesting workflow, especially when that's not the process for regular resubmissions in Canvas. 

From TurnItIn:

Your instructor may allow you to overwrite your previous submissions until the due date and time set for the assignment. If overwriting is not enabled, your instructor must manually delete a previous submission to allow you to submit another file.

Here are some helpful guides as well:

How do I create a Turnitin assignment?  

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13080-4152467867 

Highlighted
Community Member

Nicole,

I don't know how your institution uses Turnitin. If your institution uses the external tool Turnitin LTI API, then you'll need to modify the Turnitin optional settings. You can choose to allow students to resubmit their papers under the "Similarity Report" section Turnitin's optional settings.

Turnitin Optional Settings

Similarity report options

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello h1559823@hindscc.edu...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I came across your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted this question on April 18, 2018.  It looks like you have received some help from bneporadny@southcollegetn.edukristin.lundstrum@delasalle.com, and shanaegalloway@nnu.edu.  Have you had an opportunity to review their responses?  Did any of the feedback they provided help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some assistance with your original question?  If you feel that Brian, Kristin, or Shanae has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark one of those replies as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help with this question, please come back to this thread to post a message below so that someone from the Community might be able to help you out.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard from you in almost five months and because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for that same amount of time.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Nicole.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.