cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
csmith10
Community Member

How do I change a profile from teacher to admin?

Jump to solution

One of our teacher's is leaving the classroom to take on an administrative role. How can her current canvas account be switched over to reflect an admin role ? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @csmith10  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.  It's important to keep in mind that every person in a school's Canvas environment is firstly a "user".  The roles they have in a course are defined at the course level.  So, someone could both be a student in one course and an instructor in another course...yet, they have one "user" account in Canvas.  That being said, if you are a Canvas administrator for your school, you can follow this Guide to add an additional admin to your Canvas instance: How do I add an admin to an account?.  I hope this helps, Cassidy.  Please let Community members know if you have any questions about this.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @csmith10  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.  It's important to keep in mind that every person in a school's Canvas environment is firstly a "user".  The roles they have in a course are defined at the course level.  So, someone could both be a student in one course and an instructor in another course...yet, they have one "user" account in Canvas.  That being said, if you are a Canvas administrator for your school, you can follow this Guide to add an additional admin to your Canvas instance: How do I add an admin to an account?.  I hope this helps, Cassidy.  Please let Community members know if you have any questions about this.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

jomo_mutegi
Community Member

"That being said, if you are a Canvas administrator for your school, you can follow this Guide to add an additional admin to your Canvas instance: How do I add an admin to an account?. "

How does one become an administrator for a school?

@jomo_mutegi ...

If you using the paid version, Canvas administrators are typically people at your school's Online Learning/eLearning department and/or some people at your school's IT (Information Technology) department.  Any of these people would be the ones to make decisions on what permissions Canvas users should have, how enrollments are fed into Canvas, what external integrations are available to instructors/students, etc.

Hi, I don't mind paying but I'm an online instructor, self-employed so there is no school. Is there a plan for indviduals like me? I can't find anywhere on the Instructure website to sign up/pay...

@hayoreinders ‌, Instructure does not offer individual licenses.

HI Stefanie, thank you for your reply. Does that mean there is no way for individual instructors to use features like Microsoft Teams or Zoom integration?

@hayoreinders ‌, that is correct. Big Blue Button (BBB)-based Conferences are available in Free For Teachers accounts; third-party applications that require integration by a Canvas admin are not available to users of the free product, as there is no admin role in free accounts.

Thank you, that clarifies it. What a pity, as it would have been a perfect solution for people like myself who work independently. Are you perhaps familiar with an LMS that would allow individuals to integrate their Zoom/Teams/similar accounts?