Highlighted
Community Member

How do I change my display name?

Jump to solution

I am attempting to change my display name on Canvas. I would like to remove my middle name.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi tuk93687@temple.edu and welcome to the Canvas community

If you go into your account settings from the menu on the left of the screen, you might find an option to edit your display name and full name. The display name is the name that's shown when you post discussions, inbox messages etc. The full name is what's shown to the teacher in some of the more "official" parts of Canvas such as when they are grading your work. See this page for details: How do I change the settings in my user account as a student?

However, not all schools/colleges allow their users to change the display name and full name. If you don't get the option to change the names in your account settings, it means the admins at your college have set restrictions to stop users from doing this. If this is the case, you will need to contact the technical support team at your college and ask them to change the name for you.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi tuk93687@temple.edu and welcome to the Canvas community

If you go into your account settings from the menu on the left of the screen, you might find an option to edit your display name and full name. The display name is the name that's shown when you post discussions, inbox messages etc. The full name is what's shown to the teacher in some of the more "official" parts of Canvas such as when they are grading your work. See this page for details: How do I change the settings in my user account as a student?

However, not all schools/colleges allow their users to change the display name and full name. If you don't get the option to change the names in your account settings, it means the admins at your college have set restrictions to stop users from doing this. If this is the case, you will need to contact the technical support team at your college and ask them to change the name for you.

View solution in original post