cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alexandria_lee
Community Member

How do I change the name of a Student?

Jump to solution

I sent an invitation to a student, but I need to correct the student's name. Is there a place to edit student names?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @alexandria_lee ​:

Two very easy options:

1. Contact your Canvas Admins and ask them to make the change. Your admins can learn about this (if needed) at How do I edit a user's details in an account?

2. Send out a new invitation with the student's name corrected.

Depending on what permissions your school has permitted instructors to have, either you can delete the incorrect student from your roster, or you can have your admins do it, or you can just ignore it if it is not critical. Also depending on permission settings, you may be able to simply inactivate the incorrect user in People. Depending on the Teacher permissions set by your account, you may be able to do the following, but if those options are not available, contact your Canvas admin:

I hope this helps,

KLM

View solution in original post

2 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @alexandria_lee ​:

Two very easy options:

1. Contact your Canvas Admins and ask them to make the change. Your admins can learn about this (if needed) at How do I edit a user's details in an account?

2. Send out a new invitation with the student's name corrected.

Depending on what permissions your school has permitted instructors to have, either you can delete the incorrect student from your roster, or you can have your admins do it, or you can just ignore it if it is not critical. Also depending on permission settings, you may be able to simply inactivate the incorrect user in People. Depending on the Teacher permissions set by your account, you may be able to do the following, but if those options are not available, contact your Canvas admin:

I hope this helps,

KLM

View solution in original post

@kmeeusen   If I am using the free version of Canvas, can I edit a student's name? I don't see an "Admin" section, and I don't see any way to manually edit the students' name.

I sent out emails with the students' correct names, but since many of them already had Canvas accounts, they merged the invitation with their existing account and are using their existing name. For some, it's simple First Last instead of Last, First, but several students just show up as a string of digits instead of a name on most lists, and it's not until I click on their profile that I see their actual name.