Highlighted
Community Member

How do I change the name of a menu item?

I know this is probably a silly question, but I can't recall how to change the name of a menu item.  For example, I want to change 'Modules' to 'Lesson Content'.

I know Instructure don't support or advise on custom CSS or JavaScript, but does anyone have a quick solution for this?

6 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor

cwindsor@acm.ac.uk, greetings! On the front end of Canvas, you can't change the name of a navigational link (menu item). You can use the "redirect" menu item - which allows you to customize the name, but that would normally be a link to something outside of the course, not inside the course. 

Here is a feature idea for a similar request - https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/13863-customizing-the-course-navigation-menu" modifiedtitle="t.... If you think this is similar then you could vote and comment on this idea. 

Kona

Highlighted
Navigator

Hello cwindsor@acm.ac.uk Thank You for posting your question.  In addition to the information that you received from kona@richland.edu‌ today, I would add that there *may* be a way to do this through a global JavaScript or CSS file.  However, that would be something that would be handled by your school's local Canvas administrator.  And, making this kind of change in a global file would change it for every single Canvas course shell in your school's Canvas environment.  This would also include course shells that you are using for other purposes outside of a normal Canvas course.  So, you'd want to have a discussion with people at your school about this before you moved forward.  I, too, would encourage you to look over the Feature Idea that Kona linked for you to see if it aligns with something you'd like to see implemented in Canvas.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi chofer@morainepark.edu‌,

That's exactly what I'm trying to do - change it globally.  I am the Admin for my institution, but I don't know what to change in the CSS in order to customise it.

I understand that Instructure don't support or help with CSS, so if there is anyone who isn't Instructure staff who can help me out, that would be grand.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Lamplighter

cwindsor@acm.ac.uk‌, first of all, I love your avatar. Smiley Happy 

The people who are most likely to have the expertise to help you out with this are the members of the Canvas Admins and Canvas Developers groups, so I've shared your question with those groups. You won't need to join those groups to see their responses appear here, but as an admin, you might like to join—and you can easily do so by navigating to the group and selecting Join Group from the Actions dropdown at the upper right of the group home page.

Highlighted
Navigator

Hi again, cwindsor@acm.ac.uk...

While I understand there may be reasons why you'd want to change the button name, it also may add some confusion for your instructors.  If you rename "Modules" to "Lesson Content", the written Guides and video tutorials here in the Community website will still reference "Modules"...because that's what the vast majority of Canvas users are used to.  So, this would be a training thing on your end if you wanted to have "Lesson Content" instead of "Modules".  Something to think about...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I am aware of this.

It has been a request from our staff.