How do I create a group assignment with various topics and groups

Jump to solution
lhendrickson
Community Explorer

How do I create a group assignment for 45 students, with 3 separate topics, 3 groups for each topic, and only one student can self select what topic and group they want to join?

If I set up 3 different groups it appears there are 3 separate assignments, when there is only 1 assignment with 3 different topics to chose from.

Thank you for any and all guidance.

Lisa

1 Solution

Hi  @lhendrickson  - Great...good for you figuring the first part out!  The grading process depends on whether you enabled the ability to grade students individually.  But the basics are covered here: How do I grade group assignments in SpeedGrader?  

Regardless of which setting you chose, however, be aware that even with individual grading, a student submits on behalf of the entire group.  So if Sally from Group A submits an assignment, and then Stan from Group A submits an assignment later, the last assignment will seemingly "overwrite" the first.  It does not, really; you will still be able to see all submissions, but you will not be able to see which student submitted which assignment, unless they wrote just their name on it.  I remind faculty that group assignments are not an activity for which you want students to submit things individually for this very reason.

I hope this helps a bit, Lisa.

View solution in original post