How do I create a "reverse" multiple choice set of questions?

Jump to solution
r_e_rayburn
Community Novice

I would like to create a reverse multiple choice question group for a content chapter.  There are five types of questions, which would be the answers, and currently 21 attributes or descriptions that would be the questions. Instead of writing multiple choice questions with the same five answers I would like to reverse the process. I want the student to decide which question type the statement would fit under. Some of the attributes would match more than one question type. 

Is there a type of question structure for this practice quiz structure?

0 Likes
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@r_e_rayburn  

If I'm understanding you correctly, and I'm not sure I am, then a multiple answers question type might be the most appropriate.

If I'm reading this right, you currently have 21 multiple-answer questions with 5 choices each. What you would like is 5 questions with 21 (or a subset of the 21) responses each. If you use all 21 questions with legacy quizzes, then I would consider enabling one question at a time so it's not overwhelming or confusing.

Make sure you're clear in the instructions to "select all correct responses" as students sometimes get confused and think it's multiple choice instead of multiple answer.

Here are some resources that can help.

The first two are lessons from the Canvas Instructor Guide.

The last link is to a document I wrote that explains how multiple answer questions are graded and why they're graded the way they are graded. With legacy quizzes, they are only graded using a partial credit. With New Quizzes, you can also use an all-or-nothing approach to grading. The partial credit approach used by Canvas confuses a lot of people, so I want to make sure people understand it before choosing to use that method. It's based on the number of correct responses and the number of selected responses and many people think it should be calculated differently.

There is another way I can envision making this question work if you don't want to provide all 21 responses but only want to have them answer, for example, 10 at a time. Excuse me if I get the wording on what you're calling things incorrect.

You could create a text only question.

The next block of questions are true or false. Choose true if the attribute is an example of question type 1 and false if it is not an example of question type 1.

Then create a question group that has 21 true-false questions, one for each of the 21 attributes. In the question group, tell it to pick 10 of the questions.

Repeat this process for each of the other four question types.

When they're done, they'll have five section headings with 10 questions each for 50 questions all together.

If you are using legacy quizzes, you could make this one question at a time if you properly word the instructions. Part of the problem is that they will lose the instructions this way.

With New Quizzes, you might consider using a stimulus question to hold the instructions and then pick the 10 questions from a question bank. Have five different stimulus questions.

Yet another way to do this is to make a set of 105 true/false questions and put them into question groups of 21 questions each. Then you could pick, for example, 10 from each group.

The first question group would look like:

Attribute 1 is an example of question type 1.

Attribute 2 is an example of question type 1.

Attribute 21 is an example of question type 1.

The second question group would look like:

Attribute 1 is an example of question type 2.

Attribute 2 is an example of question type 2.

Attribute 21 is an example of question type 2.

and so on.

Part of the benefit of using the question groups is that they get randomized and the students can redo the quiz multiple times without getting the exact same questions each time.

You could also combine the methods. Since you have 21 attributes, you could create 3 multiple answer questions with 5 choices and 1 with 6 choices (or just leave one of them out). You would need to decide which ones went with each. Then you could have a question group that pulled one set of the questions for each of the five types. If you want to keep 10 in each question (that's not the number you threw out, I'm just using it as an example), then you could make several multiple answer questions that had 10 choices (instead of the 5 or 6). I would still have the text-only question and then then tell it to pick 1 question from the question group. Repeat this for each of the five types and be sure to include good instructions since multiple answer questions are confusing to students.

I will also mention that if you are using legacy quizzes and have access to Respondus, it will be a lot faster to import the questions into that and then import them into Canvas than it will to create it directly within Canvas. It appears that Respondus does not directly support New Quizzes.

View solution in original post

0 Likes