cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

How do I delete student assignment submissions?

A student submitted the wrong assignment. How do I delete it so she can submit the correct assignment?

6 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

Here's an idea that I brought over from the old Canvas Community that you might want to consider bookmarking so that you can vote on it in May:

Hope this helps!!!

Community Coach
Community Coach

While I understand that Canvas wants to keep a record of everything submitted to an assignment, I have to admit I'd love the ability to delete and/or move incorrectly submitted assignments! I'll definitely be voting for this!

Instructure
Instructure

In addition, I have found that you cannot unpublish an assignment in modules if there are any student submissions. So if I test an assignment submission and then decide to unpublish the assignment in modules, it will not allow me to unpublish.

240251_Screen Shot 2017-06-30 at 10.17.52 AM.png

Surveyor

I've been bumping into this. Since I cannot always unpublish an assignment with submissions, I have discovered that I can edit the availability date to another time. My scenario is leaving the assignments for the marking period open from the get-go. However, students don't read carefully and their assignment 1 gets submitted in their assignment 2, etc. I've been commenting on the incorrect submissions (just to leave a message in a bottle for the student and me should I wonder what happened at a later date) then I went and adjusted the assignment availability date/time stamp to keep others out until they need to be able to access the tools. I've made a change to the way I manage my Grades area which I think will be helpful for everyone. 

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello Deactivated user...

It has been several months since you first posted this question here in the Canvas Community, and I wanted to check in with you because we've not heard back from you since you first posted this question.  Have you had an opportunity to review the feedback that you've received from me and others here in the Community?  Did any of our responses help to answer your question?  Are there any other outstanding questions that you have as it relates to deleting student submissions?  Hopefully one of the responses above has answered your question.  Please feel free to mark one of those responses as "Correct".  However, if you still have some questions, please let us know by posting a message below so that members of the Canvas Community can help you out.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for over two months.  I hope that's alright with you.  I look forward to hearing back from you soon!

Surveyor

It's not clear from responses so far:  So it's impossible to delete a student assignment submission?