cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

How do I download my reading material

Jump to solution

I am having problems downloading my reading for my marketing fundamentals class. Any suggestions?

314164_pastedImage_1.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Navigator

dmillward@s.chartercollege.edu,

What you are encountering is a password-protected PDF file. PDFs allow for different security settings to prevent people from doing things that the creator of the document doesn't want them to do. This can include opening it, saving it, editing it, printing it, leaving comments, and a bunch of other things.

I see that you're trying to open this in Word rather than a PDF viewer such as Adobe Acrobat Reader or even using the Preview mode within Canvas. 

For testing purposes, I created a PDF file and made it so that people could not print, but they could still read it. When I tried to open it in Word, it gave the error message you're seeing. A PDF viewer was able to open it and the document previewer in Canvas still allowed me to read it.

I would recommend trying a program other than Word to preview your document. If Word automatically launches when you try to open the PDF file, you have a file association off somewhere. One way to fix that is to install a PDF viewer and let it associate the .pdf extension. If you have a PDF viewer installed, you can, in Windows, go into the file explorer and right click on the item and choose "Open with" and pick the PDF viewer.

It is possible that the file is locked so that you cannot open it at all without a password, but that is much less likely. In that case, you should read what the instructor has given and see if they gave a password, or contact them as kelley.meeusen@cptc.edu suggested.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi dmillward@s.chartercollege.edu 

My suggestion is to contact your instructor.  Canvas Community members only have access to their own Canvas accounts and courses, and have no way of troubleshooting your particular problem. https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10574-4212710325 

Kelley

Highlighted
Navigator

dmillward@s.chartercollege.edu,

What you are encountering is a password-protected PDF file. PDFs allow for different security settings to prevent people from doing things that the creator of the document doesn't want them to do. This can include opening it, saving it, editing it, printing it, leaving comments, and a bunch of other things.

I see that you're trying to open this in Word rather than a PDF viewer such as Adobe Acrobat Reader or even using the Preview mode within Canvas. 

For testing purposes, I created a PDF file and made it so that people could not print, but they could still read it. When I tried to open it in Word, it gave the error message you're seeing. A PDF viewer was able to open it and the document previewer in Canvas still allowed me to read it.

I would recommend trying a program other than Word to preview your document. If Word automatically launches when you try to open the PDF file, you have a file association off somewhere. One way to fix that is to install a PDF viewer and let it associate the .pdf extension. If you have a PDF viewer installed, you can, in Windows, go into the file explorer and right click on the item and choose "Open with" and pick the PDF viewer.

It is possible that the file is locked so that you cannot open it at all without a password, but that is much less likely. In that case, you should read what the instructor has given and see if they gave a password, or contact them as kelley.meeusen@cptc.edu suggested.

View solution in original post

Labels