How do I duplicate a question bank (in the same course)?

Jump to solution
ebonakdarian
Community Participant

With the move to online, I am very new to Canvas quizzes (we only have the classic version available).

How can I duplicate a question/test bank that I have imported into the course so that I can modify the copy while keeping the original intact? (imported from zyBooks FWIW)

I'd like to keep the original, but edit down the number of questions in the copy. The reason for doing this is that I'd like to use all of the (fewer) questions in the copy of the question bank in a question group so that I get the same questions for all students, but in random order (at least that's the only way I know how to randomize the question order with classic quizzes). I check the shuffle answer too.

My goal is to have each student receive the questions and answers in different order to cut down cheating 😕

I'd like to keep the original around as a larger pool of questions I can select from in the future, this way I could also add to the original pool over time.

I hope this make some sense, otherwise happy to clarify. Thanks!

Esmail

PS: Just to confirm what would seem obvious, the point value for all questions in a question bank will be the same and can't be changed individually. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi @ebonakdarian 

You cannot duplicate a question bank in Canvas, but you do still have several options to meet your needs.

I would suggest simply creating the new question bank, then moving/copying the items you want into the new QB. Because you can move multiple questions at once, it is not a particularly tedious process. I would review the following guides...............

Another option might be to copy the QB into another Canvas Course shell, change it up and change the title, then copy the new bank back into the original course. For this, the following guide will be helpful...........

If you do not have another course shell to play with, this guide will help if your schools have extended this permission to instructors: How do I start a new course from the dashboard as an instructor? If you do not see this option, then your school has restricted this permission, and you will need to contact your school's Canvas Admin to request a new course shell.

I hope this is helpful,

Kelley

View solution in original post