cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

How do I embed an uploaded audio file into a quiz question?

I'm guessing I'm missing something somewhere, but how do I embed an audio file that I have already uploaded to my course into a quiz question? I can see it in a Files Folder, but can't figure out how to get it into the question. Thanks!!

Tags (2)
14 Replies
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi cadman_shane@sccollege.edu‌ - Fortunately the quiz features the same rich content editor that exists most other places in Canvas.  If you follow the instructions here: How do I insert course files into the Rich Content Editor using the Content Selector? it will work.  I realize that says "course files" but because it's an audio file Canvas will recognize it as such, and automatically display an audio file player embedded within the editor when complete, much like the illustration shown in this separate page from the online instructor's guide at the bottom of the page: How do I upload an audio file using the Rich Content Editor?   (The latter instructions are for uploading an audio file from your computer directly rather than from an existing file you already have, but the end effect is the same.)

The main thing to remember is regardless of where you are in Canvas, if you see the rich content editor the same features of that editor will apply!

I hope this helps, Shane!

Highlighted

Hi Ken,

Thanks for replying to my question. Let me be a bit more specific in what I'm doing. I am writing questions in a question bank. When I am in here, there is not File option that I can see so that I can link an existing course file. I hope that makes more sense, and I hope I'm missing something simple.

Shane

Highlighted

Thanks for the clarification, Shane!  That does make a difference and you raise an excellent point!  I found an archived Feature Idea on a similar question here: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/3376 .  I'm a bit surprised that this has not come up more frequently, and I have a feeling that I am missing something obvious here.  I suppose a work-around is to create the question "normally" as a regular quiz question (not in a bank) and let Canvas add it to the Unfiled Questions question bank that gets added automatically to every course site, but that seems a bit odd.  One issue, I suspect, is that because question banks can get re-used constantly from term-to-term is that the links to course-specific items will get broke, but it would be the same case when copying any quiz from course-to-course and Canvas can usually handle that just fine.

Hmm; again, I think I'm missing something. I think I will call on higher authorities such as stefaniesanders‌ or resident quiz expert kona@richland.edu‌ here!  I will be mighty embarrassed if the answer is in front of my face somewhere, but it won't be the first time I miss something obvious!  snugent‌ created a great post a few years ago on tricks with adding images to question banks (https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers/blog/2017/06/15/adding-images-to-questions ) but not media files.

Highlighted

Thanks for the quick reply Ken. I'm hoping someone can get to the bottom of it. It does seem like it should be there and be simple, but I've looked all around with no luck. Looking forward to an answer. 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

It appears that nobody has replied yet with an answer. Any thoughts out there? Is there any way to change it from being correct? stefaniesanders‌ - is that something you can change? Any more thoughts kblack@dom.edu‌?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Sorry, Shane...I can't think of anything.  I'll tag kona@richland.edu‌ again.  (I'm also hoping that Quizzes.Next may do something about this, but I have not played around with it. No specific indication here: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15049-4152780614 )

Highlighted

Thannks kblack@dom.edu‌. Hopefully we can get it figured out at some point. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

Embedding files in a quiz question is a basic function that's completely missing. Moodle was much better at this. I'm sure it can be done. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

I figured out a workaround...

1. Edit the question, click HTML Editor, then paste the following wherever you want the embedded audio: 

<p><video class="instructure_inline_media_comment" src="___________________" width="300" height="50" controls="controls" data-media_comment_type="video" data-alt="">file</video></p>

Labels