cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
breanna_birchel
Community Member

How do I get my parents off the notification list for my Canvas?

Jump to solution

My mom keeps getting ALL my notifications. I am in college and find this a little excessive since she now knows more about my grades and schoolwork then she did in high school. Plus, it's really annoying for her. I have checked in my notification settings and the only emails signed up are my personal and my student emails. Any body have any other ideas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @breanna_birchel ​

In the higher Ed realm we like to call these "Helicopter Parents" because they continuously hover over their student children. However, we also call this a FERPA violation if the child is over 18. I suspect your Mom might be making use of a parent or observer role.

If you are over 18, talk to your school's Canvas Admin and perhaps also whomever at your school is responsible for FERPA compliance.

If you are not over 18, then this is between you and your Mom.

Even if you are over 18, this will still end up being between you and your Mom to one degree or another, but you are an adult now and this is just one of the challenges of adulthood that we all have to deal with (or those of us with parents who care) - setting boundaries.

Good luck!

KLM

View solution in original post

1 Reply
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @breanna_birchel ​

In the higher Ed realm we like to call these "Helicopter Parents" because they continuously hover over their student children. However, we also call this a FERPA violation if the child is over 18. I suspect your Mom might be making use of a parent or observer role.

If you are over 18, talk to your school's Canvas Admin and perhaps also whomever at your school is responsible for FERPA compliance.

If you are not over 18, then this is between you and your Mom.

Even if you are over 18, this will still end up being between you and your Mom to one degree or another, but you are an adult now and this is just one of the challenges of adulthood that we all have to deal with (or those of us with parents who care) - setting boundaries.

Good luck!

KLM

View solution in original post