How do I hide an assignment from student to do list

Jump to solution
cindyk
Community Participant

I want to remove/hide certain assignments from students to do lists.  I understand that, since I will be manually entering the grade, that the assignment will appear in the gradebook.  That's okay. However, most of my students live and die by the to do list and this assignment is strictly used by me to send grades to our SIS which does not support mastery paths.  I absolutely do not want students to see this assignment EXCEPT in the gradebook.  By completing their mastery path, they have done what they need to do.

3 Solutions
rmurchshafer
Community Champion

Cindy,

Normally the To Do list is driven by due dates.  If you leave off a due date, or set a date far in the future I would think it would keep it mostly hidden from their To do lists and Calendar entries.

Rick

View solution in original post

James
Community Champion

@cindyk  

Canvas says I have to have a due date.

I have never encountered an assignment that had to have a due date. There is a spot for a due date, but it is optional. I'm always up for learning about weird things Canvas does so that I can help other people if they encounter this issue.

Can you elaborate on this, perhaps with a screenshot of the message you're seeing that says you have to have a due date?

cindyk
Community Participant

I think it's because this assignment has to sync to my SIS. What I'm trying to do is find a workaround so I can incorporate mastery paths and sending grades to my SIS (Infinite Campus which only syncs assignments assigned to everyone, not mastery paths). The assignment I want hidden is one I collect the mastery paths options into a single entry for my SIS. The students do not directly enter or do anything with it, only I do. My admin is requiring a dual gradebook and I'm piloting individualized learning which means mastery paths so I have to have some mechanism for getting the grade to my SIS. I have it set up so the collector assignment in Canvas is in a non-weighted assignment group. I chose that option so student's Canvas grade would reflect the mastery path assigment as soon as it was completed. They know that our SIS is only updated once a day so would expect a delay.

But, I'm also observing that my mastery path assignments are not appearing on the students to do lists once they are assigned. Since my students rely heavily on that to do list, it has to be a clean list. I did think that mastery path assignments were supposed to be added to the student's calendar but I do not see them for my test student.

So, I think I'm going to keep my collector assignment as is but the instructions will link to the module which does list their specific mastery path assignment. Not ideal as they see an imprecise assignment to do list but at least they see something.