How do I listen to Powerpoint Presentation lectures in Canvas?

Jump to solution
hansr946
Community Novice

When my instructors upload the powerpoint presentations, they have lecture recordings imbedded in them. I can see the little sound icon on each slide, however, I cannot get them to play. I've checked all my tech and updated everything as outlined in the course. How can I listen to the recorded lectures imbedded in the presentations in Canvas? I can't download the Powerpoint because I don't have a Microsoft license and don't intend to purchase one. 

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @hansr946  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question.  I believe you would need to first download the PowerPoint file to your computer and open it up in the Microsoft PowerPoint software in order to hear the audio that is included with it.  I know you said that you don't have a Microsoft license and don't intend on purchasing one, but you might want to check with your school to see if they offer any solutions to use Office 365, for example.  You might already have access to that as a student, and that may help.  You also might want to contact your instructor to let him/her know that you are not able to hear the audio included with the PowerPoint presentation.  Maybe your instructor would be able to provide you the audio file another way.  Yet another option for you would be to download OpenOffice.  It's an open-source software similar to Microsoft Office.  But, I have not used it for quite some time, and I don't know what kinds of updates that have been made to it since I last used it several years ago.

I hope one or more of these options will be of help to you, Rebecca.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Likes