How do I make a group discussion private?

Jump to solution
jcrooks
Community Participant

I have four people in my class who have the role "supplemental instruction leaders" assigned to them by my campus Canvas administrators. They are not students. They are in-class tutors, and I refer to them as "instructional aides." I would like to have a discussion forum just for them and me so that we can speak freely about how the course is going without the students being able to see, read, or be aware of the existence of the forum. I created a group set and called it "Instructional Aides." I created a group within that set and called it "Instructional Aides." There are no other groups or group sets. I created an ungraded discussion and called it "Instructional Aide Forum." I replied to that forum with a question to the aides about how best to structure an upcoming class session.

Here are the problems I am having: all students say they can see the discussion. The aides cannot see the reply I made that asks about a specific class.

What am I doing wrong?

1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @jcrooks ...

So it sounds like you've done the following:

1. Go to the "People" tab and created a "Group Set".
  2. Created a group within the "Group Set".
  3. Assigned these four individuals to the group withing the "Group Set".

Now, head on over to your discussion topic.  Edit the topic.  You should see a check-box option for "This is a Group Discussion".  Do you have that selected?  If not, you will need to select that check-box.  Then, a drop-down list will appear.  It will list any of the "Group Set" names that you've created in your "People" tab.  Make sure to save your changes, and I think you'll be set to go.  You can also navigate to that group to post additional topics that they will only see.  How do I view content and student activity within a group as an instructor?

I hope this information will be of help to you, James.  Please let us know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post