cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

How do I merge course sections in Canvas?

Jump to solution

I would like to combine the two section of my course to facilitate communications with students.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello dgpfeiff@vt.edu Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.  Combining courses is done via cross-listing.  Here are a couple Guides that may be of help to you:

How do I cross-list a section in a course as an admin? 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12983-4152718703 

Let us know if you have any questions about this, Doug.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello dgpfeiff@vt.edu Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.  Combining courses is done via cross-listing.  Here are a couple Guides that may be of help to you:

How do I cross-list a section in a course as an admin? 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12983-4152718703 

Let us know if you have any questions about this, Doug.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, dgpfeiff@vt.edu‌, Chris has given you great information. I'd only add that it's wise to check with your school's Canvas admin before embarking on any cross-listing on your own; they may have a procedure in place for doing this, and quite possibly will even do it for you.

Highlighted

The documentation provided to us is almost impossible to use. It's most

helpful to find someone who has learned how to do something and learn from

them.

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 10:33 AM Stefanie Sanders <instructure@jiveon.com>

Highlighted

I agree, dgpfeiff@vt.edu‌—with the important exception in this case that schools have put different policies into place for cross-listing. For example, the school at which I used to teach disabled instructors' ability to cross-list courses (sections) and instead used a Google Form to collect cross-listing requests before the start of the semester. The school's Canvas admins then fulfilled those requests via SIS upload. So, everyone's mileage may vary. 

Labels