cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gasstationwitho
Surveyor

How do I prevent students from creating groups?

Jump to solution

How do I prevent students from creating groups?

I want students to sign up for already created groups in a group set, so that I can use the group set for grading,  but clueless students keep creating new student groups, which can't be used for grading.

How can I turn off the student-group function, so that students can't create groups?#studentgroup

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
awilliams
Surveyor

Hey gasstationwithoutpumps Welcometo the Canvas Community. You can turn that setting off in the Course Details. Check out this guide for more information and let us know how it goes. https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12900-415257087 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
awilliams
Surveyor

Hey gasstationwithoutpumps Welcometo the Canvas Community. You can turn that setting off in the Course Details. Check out this guide for more information and let us know how it goes. https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12900-415257087 

View solution in original post

Thank you.  That is a well-hidden feature: 

• settings
  • course options
  • more options

Why are some of the options hidden so deeply?  (What is the point of hiding behind "more options"?)

It would be nice to have enable/disable options available under the gear icon for the thing that they enable/disable.

Hey again gasstationwithoutpumps.

Different people have different needs so which settings should be displayed more or less prominently is always a balancing act as are which things should be on or off by default. I used to train faculty on Canvas and each one who came through had different needs and suggestions about what would make things easier or more user-friendly and most of them were good ideas. One thing I always loved about Canvas (and still do as an Instructure employee) is how much time and energy is put into listening to user feedback and how well the product is documented in the Guides: Canvas‌. We appreciate your time taken to join this Community and to leave us feedback. Regardless of where those pesky settings might be, or other quirks and nuances of the software, rest assured you have a huge group of people here to listen and help. I look forward to seeing you around and let us know if there is anything else we can do. 

In the global settings, I've disabled "Let students create discussion topics," but they're still able to do it within the Discussion Group's shell, which is causing me mayhem (b/c, as you know, extraneous discussion topics not created by the instructor can't be graded). I've made course announcements and group announcements and contacted them individually till I'm blue in the face, and they still do it. The instructor really shouldn't have to go through all this extra effort for something a Canvas setting should take care of. What exactly is the Canvas-based fix for this? Thank you kindly for any help you can offer. I appreciate it.