cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer III

How do I prevent teachers from concluding a course?

Jump to solution

We're new to Canvas doing a pilot this spring, and want to allow instructors to change the state of their courses from "Unpublished" to "Published", but we don't want them to be able to change the course to "Concluded" or "Deleted", since courses are created via SIS.

How can we allow instructors to publish a course but not conclude or delete it?  The permissions settings do not seem to be that granular, and we've already had one instructor "Conclude" their course before the pilot semester has even started...

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

The only way I can think of hiding this is through some custom global javascript. We've used this in the past to hide certain buttons on the Settings page, so I'm guessing it would work for what you want as well. Yet, I'm not sure of the programming involved, so I'm going to share this with the Canvas Developers​ in the Community to see if they can help!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

The only way I can think of hiding this is through some custom global javascript. We've used this in the past to hide certain buttons on the Settings page, so I'm guessing it would work for what you want as well. Yet, I'm not sure of the programming involved, so I'm going to share this with the Canvas Developers​ in the Community to see if they can help!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks, Kona.  We already have some global javascript to hide another button, so it sounds like that's something we'll have to do here, too.  Coming from Blackboard, I was just hoping for bit more granular permissions...

Highlighted

No argument here, permissions definitely need some love!

Highlighted

Being able to prevent teachers from concluding their courses would be a really useful permission. We try to limit the use of Javascript as much as possible.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

mzimmerman@unomaha.edu,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels