How do I publish a course - that I am still working on?

Jump to solution
dbelrod1
Community Member

I have completed the first 10 weeks of a semester long course design, but I am still working on the second 10 weeks.

I will need to upload this work for the beginning of the school year, but still retain the option to edit and add to the course for the remaining half of the semester. 

Does Canvas provide a way to "update" courses AFTER they are published?

Thank you very much!

0 Likes
1 Solution
tim_kato
Community Contributor

@dbelrod1 ‌ yes, if you publish the course you can continue to edit it and add content. I have three pointers:
-Only publish the modules/content that is ready. Unpublish the parts you are still working on
-Communicate clearly to students so that they know how far in advance different future parts of the course will be available. Ensure they have ample time to complete assignments, discussions, quizzes, activities, etc.

-Please be aware that updating course content, due dates, etc throughout the duration of your course may trigger notifications to your students
Are you leveraging features such as Module requirements and prerequisites in your course structure? Assignment Groups? Those have considerations as well. I am confident you can manage this appropriately! Many instructors at our institution add to their course throughout the term, consider the common example of preparing lecture slides on a weekly basis and posting them following the lecture - this is certainly not all finalized at the time the course was published.

Best of luck!

Tim

View solution in original post

0 Likes