cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gasstationwitho
Surveyor

How do I recover a submission made by a student who later joined a group?

Jump to solution

A student submitted a group assignment as an individual and was graded on it.  Later he and his partner realized they hadn't joined a group and did so for the next assignment (same Group Set, as the assignments were for a pre-lab and a lab report).

Now I am unable to see the individually submitted assignment.  It isn't visible in SpeedGrader (which says that the group hasn't submitted the assignment) nor do I see it in the files for the group.  Is there any way to recover the lost, graded assignment or has Canvas swallowed it forever?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gasstationwitho
Surveyor

Problem solved!  The reason I could not find the missing submission was that the students not only didn't submit it as a group, but submitted it to the wrong assignment!

So the failure here was all by the students, not by canvas, which is a bit of a relief.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
kblack
Community Member

Hi gasstationwithoutpumps - Yikes!  Well, that's one reason to not allow self-signup, I suppose!

I tried replicating this on a test course site, and I think the safest solution is to head back to the assignment in question, EDIT it, and enable the checkbox for "Assign Grades to Each Student Individually."  Past experience has taught me that this will NOT affect already-submitted scores for that assignment, and that you can safely ignore the warning message on the screen about not changing the settings.  You are technically NOT changing any group setting, but merely the grading.

After doing that, head to the student in question in SpeedGrader.  While the default paper submission will still show the group submission that seemingly "overwrote" the one-person submission, that new setting will also activate the "Submission to View" drop-down menu under the student's name, as the screen capture below (which is from that class I tried this on) shows:

Submission to view drop-down menu in SpeedGrader

Once you select the earlier submission, you should see the student's original submission done previous to when he joined the group and can download it.

I hope this works for you, Kevin, and that it helps!

Nope, didn't help.  SpeedGrader lists the individual students, but still says "This group does not have a submission for this assignment"  when I go to the student whose submission was graded.  I trust that there was a submission when the graders graded (both because a grade was entered and the students say they submitted it), but Canvas seems to have thrown it away!

Incidentally, the workaround suggested of not allowing students to sign themselves up for groups is a terrible one for this class, as I would then have to enter 80 new group assignments every two weeks, getting on the order of 100 e-mail messages from the students each time.  Unless, Ken, you are suggesting that I collect all the student schedules and figure out who has compatible schedules, hire private investigators to find out which students have a "history" with each other,  and do all the partner selection for them! 

Self-selection of partners may be a poor system, but Canvas doesn't support a better one. It isn't as if Canvas had good support for assigning partners to groups ensuring that no one worked with the same partner twice over a 2-course sequence, and that no one ended up as odd-man-out twice.  

In any event, there shouldn't be anything students can do that causes their graded work to disappear irretrievably.

Hi Kevin - Hmm; that's strange. That's worked for me in the past with similar issues.  The student himself should still have a copy though, in their own personal FILES area--no?  (Details here:  How do I view my user files as a student? )  

The irony to this situation is that in the past, people have complained that there is absolutely  NO way to remove student submissions, so I doubt it has vanished permanently into the ether.  If the student cannot find a version in their own personal FILES area, as outlined above, it may just be time to file a case with Canvas (Help>>Report a Problem, which may get routed to your local IT first).  While I can't predict the future, I am pretty certain that they would have a way to get that file.

Also--flash of inspiration--when did the original upload occur?  The test servers were "refreshed" this past weekend, so if the original upload occurred before then but the student joined the group since Sunday, it's possible it's retrievable on your test or beta instances.  (See How do I access the Canvas test environment as an instructor? or How do I access the Canvas beta environment as an instructor? )

One of the first things I did was to try to look at the submitting student's files, but as the instructor I have no access to them.  All I can see are the submitted files, and Canvas just reports "missing" for the one in question.  I can ask the student if they can still see the file in Canvas.

The first assignment was due May 18 and the second one June 1, so the students joined a group between those two assignments.  It is unlikely that the weekend refresh will give me access to an undamaged Canvas state.

Yep; too late for that idea of beta/test, then.  Yes, the student would have to access his own files the way outlined above OR your local Canvas administrator can see if s/he can see them while "masquerading" as a student.  Otherwise, it may indeed be time to contact Canvas support.

gasstationwitho
Surveyor

Problem solved!  The reason I could not find the missing submission was that the students not only didn't submit it as a group, but submitted it to the wrong assignment!

So the failure here was all by the students, not by canvas, which is a bit of a relief.

View solution in original post

Well, gasstationwithoutpumps, it is true that good online teachers must be at least a bit like Sherlock Holmes!  I think you just earned your Sherlock Merit Badge for this week!

Image result for sherlock holmes badge

Kelley

Well....that's something I wasn't expecting!  (Just now coming back online after multiple--you guessed it--meetings.)  Glad to hear it was solved, Kevin.