cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aking6
Community Member

How do I remove an observer?

Jump to solution

I have a middle school student who is observing his highschool sister? How can I remove this? 

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

@ns3320 ‌, thank you for troubleshooting with Ali!  @aking6 ‌, if you have more questions about separating the observer from the observee using the API, I can connect you with Emily. She and I are co-admin at our school. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
ns3320
Surveyor

Hi  @aking6 ,

Depending on how your institution is set up you may or may not have the ability to remove this student. If you don't have this permission then you will need to contact your Canvas admin.

If you are able, there are a few ways to remove the student from you course. I think this is the simplest way to do it: How do I remove an enrollment from a course? 

Depending on the circumstances you may want to remove the student using one of these methods instead:

Nick

aking6
Community Member

Hi! 

Thank you for this information. I am an Admin for my school. The problem that I'm seeing is that the student has been an observer of his sister (a High school student)for at least three years. I need the middle school student to stop being an observer. He is not currently enrolled in classes, just observing. In "All Courses" I can see courses for the past three years that don't belong to him.

Any idea?

Ah, I think I see now. So the middle school student is a linked observer to the high school student.

In the People tab, go to the three dot menu all the way to the right of the observer. Click on that and choose "Link to Students" from the dropdown menu. In there just click on the X next to his sister to unlink them. Now that they're unlinked you should be able to remove him from the course. I took a screenshot to clarify how to get there. 

Is this what you were looking for?

285241_oberver.PNG

aking6
Community Member

I think we are getting closer!!! So I don't have an option to delete or unlink the student being observed. I'm acting as the brother and it is showing the sister being observed. However, there is not an option. The three dots are not visible. How do I find this screen as the admin and not the student?

285251_FireShot Capture 8 - Untitled presentation - Google Slides_ - https___docs.google.com_presentatio.png

Well, I'm sorry Ali. I see now that the user is paired at the account level, which is something my institution doesn't do so  I don't really have any experience with this.

I did find this previous post that was similar. It involved using an API Integration to remove the observer, which I also don't have any practice with: https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/3534 

Good luck!

@ns3320 ‌, thank you for troubleshooting with Ali!  @aking6 ‌, if you have more questions about separating the observer from the observee using the API, I can connect you with Emily. She and I are co-admin at our school. 

View solution in original post

klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Starting on March 17, Observers will be able to remove observed students from their own Observer account! You can read about the details in the Canvas Deploy Notes (2021-03-17). 🎉