cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

How do I restore a quiz that was overwrote by an import?

Jump to solution

We have had a situation where an instructor successfully imported a quiz from a previous course.  However, that quiz had the same name as an existing quiz in the course and the import overwrote the quiz and student grades for the existing quiz. 

Is there a way to restore an old quiz and students grades?

Technically the quiz was not deleted and therefore it does not show in the "undelete" section for the course.

I've also input a feature request to and having some why to ensure existing quizzes are not overwritten (or able to be restored) is needed.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

tim.hass@email.edcc.edu​, thanks for taking the time to provide this helpful update. For now, I'm going to mark this question as "Assumed Answered," but it will remain open for future participation, so if you can eventually replicate the issue, we'd love to hear the outcome.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
Lamplighter II

What I am suggesting won't help restore the information but you might be able to check your test or beta instance to see if you can access the data. That would help to see what the scores were before overwrite.

Highlighted

Hi tim.hass@email.edcc.edu​...

snugent​ has given you some excellent advice here.  To expand on what she has suggested for you, I wanted to provide you with the Canvas Guides on how to access these environments if you've never done so before:

How do I access the Canvas test environment?

How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

Hope this helps, Timothy!

Highlighted

Thank you snugent​ & chofer@morainepark.edu​ for your suggestions, I'll try this out.  I'm not sure when the prior import was conducted, but if it was before the test or beta copy the quiz could be there.

Thanks again

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Something else I'd recommend is to contact Canvas support. We've had simar things happen and I always check Test and Beta first and if what I need isn't there then I'll contact Canvas support. So far they've always been able to save the day and get stuff back for us!

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

tim.hass@email.edcc.edu, were you ultimately able to get the quiz and its attendant grades restored, and if so, would you take a moment to update the discussion on how you accomplished this? And, if you had success with one of the solutions posted here, please mark that answer as "Correct." Thanks!

Highlighted

Hi stefaniesanders​ thanks for checking in. 

The instructor was able to restore the grades to the quiz and the quiz itself, but was not specific on how this was accomplished. The instructor confirmed that he was using the typically steps for a course import.  After issues with scores and quiz were resolved, I escalated the Canvas Case to the Canvas Support Team for investigation.  Although Deactivated user and ccarlson (with Instructure) were able to provide great follow up and feedback for the instructor, they were not able to replicate the problem using the course import tool.  I have also not been able to replicate this with my own testing.

I was able to see the previous quiz scores and the grade change using the Admin Tools > Logging > Grade Change Activity report.  I provided a copy of that report to the instructor.

I'm also sure a quiz could be easily obtained via an export from Beta and/or Test instance and imported into production.  That is a great recommendation and one I will use in the future if necessary.  However, that would be dependent upon when the quiz was originally created and when the particular instance being used was last refreshed. 

These are all great reasons for more granular reporting at the Admin level and the driver for the feature request to Show Summary of Course Import Choices.  I know Instructure is doing their best to meet all of the individual institutional needs out there and I applaud their efforts.

I wish I could be of more help.  If I am able to conduct additional testing and can replicate the issue, I'll come back and update the thread.

Thanks for all the great advice.

Highlighted

tim.hass@email.edcc.edu​, thanks for taking the time to provide this helpful update. For now, I'm going to mark this question as "Assumed Answered," but it will remain open for future participation, so if you can eventually replicate the issue, we'd love to hear the outcome.

View solution in original post

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels