cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cmfox
Community Member

How do I reverse making an assignment anonymous?

Jump to solution

I administered a quiz on Canvas and my students completed it. I went through and graded the quizzes and everything looked good.

However, I wanted the quiz to be extra credit, so I was trying to figure out how to make it be out of 0 points. I read that I could do this by converting the assignment to be a "graded survey" worth 0 points. I did that, but it didn't work. The points I had awarded my students were no longer part of their point totals in the gradebook. So I changed it back - it is now a "graded quiz" again. However, the points aren't part of my students point totals and when I try to look at the quizzes in the speed grader, it says "This student's responses are hidden because this assignment is anonymous."

What went wrong? How do I fix this? I never selected any option that should make the assignment anonymous. It's unmuted in the gradebook.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Caitlin,

I can't wrap my head around a full answer, but I think you can find the old grades by viewing the Gradebook History.  In the New Gradebook you get to this from the Gear icon in the upper left part of Grades.  In the old gradebook it's the gear icon on the upper right side of the page.  From there you can filter to just the one Quiz and see what the grades were previously.  At this point I think I might suggest just creating a new Assignment named Extra Credit Quiz, set the points to 0, and then manually enter the grades you find from the grade history.  

In the future setting it as a graded survey initially could work.  The drawback is that with a survey there are no right answers specified so you would need to manually grade each of them.

Rick

View solution in original post

1 Reply
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Caitlin,

I can't wrap my head around a full answer, but I think you can find the old grades by viewing the Gradebook History.  In the New Gradebook you get to this from the Gear icon in the upper left part of Grades.  In the old gradebook it's the gear icon on the upper right side of the page.  From there you can filter to just the one Quiz and see what the grades were previously.  At this point I think I might suggest just creating a new Assignment named Extra Credit Quiz, set the points to 0, and then manually enter the grades you find from the grade history.  

In the future setting it as a graded survey initially could work.  The drawback is that with a survey there are no right answers specified so you would need to manually grade each of them.

Rick

View solution in original post