cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

How do I save an text based assignment submission without submitting?

Jump to solution

I submitted a response to an assignment on accident that wasn't competed because the submit button looked like 'save' out of the corner of my eye, but then I found out that not only could I not edit the original submission, but I couldn't even save a new one!  So I guess my question is really 2 questions:

1. Is there a way to add to/edit a submission?
  2. Or save a text response with out submitting?

Here is an image of the text field for clarity:

Screenshot from 2015-08-26 13_57_52.png

Note the absence of a 'save' button.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Member

Hi,

Unfortunately, you cannot edit or save a text entry response for later submission.  You would have to re-submit to add additional text to your previous entry.  You might want to check out the feature request link below to see if that will fit your needs.

Edit Submitted Text Entry Boxes

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/2606

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Community Member

Hi,

Unfortunately, you cannot edit or save a text entry response for later submission.  You would have to re-submit to add additional text to your previous entry.  You might want to check out the feature request link below to see if that will fit your needs.

Edit Submitted Text Entry Boxes

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/2606

View solution in original post

For the sake of completeness and for others who may be reading this thread, this Canvas Guide shows how to re-submit an assignment: How do I submit an online assignment? (scroll to the very bottom and look for the "View Submission" section).

It doesn't solve the original problem.  I was looking for a way to edit not resubmit.  The difference:  One would delete progress unless saved somewhere else (resubmit), the other would keep progress (editing).  It is intuitive to have a save or even an edit button.  The current condition just makes it a pain to use the 'text submission' feature.

joshua.mars@hilliardschools.org​, for our faculty we normally recommend to not use the text box for anything that requires a lot of thought or in depth writing for this very reason. When faculty do choose to use the textbox we recommend that they tell their students to write their response to the question in Microsoft Office, Google docs, etc (some type of word processing program) and then copy and paste it in and submit it when they are done.

joshua.mars@hilliardschools.org​, I concur with kona@richland.edu​'s approach. I teach writing-intensive courses, and after the first semester (the pilot) I decided not to use "Text Entry" as a submission option for the very reason she cites. If students don't have access to Microsoft Word, they can use the free Google Docs service to save a .docx file and upload it to an assignment.