cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
katieb1
Community Member

How do I see Inbox conversations with students who have dropped?

Is there a good way to see inbox conversations with students who are no longer enrolled in my class? When they are no longer enrolled, their names are no longer searchable in the inbox. I'd like a record of our contact for when there's a dispute. I have Canvas set to forward all of my messages to my normal email, but the forwarded emails don't include the name of the student I emailed. 

3 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @katieb1 ...

Have you considered deactivating the student instead of dropping him/her altogether from the course?  I just tried this with a dummy student in my sandbox course.  Instead of completely removing the student from the course, I deactivated the student.  Then, I went to the Canvas Inbox, and I was still able to see the conversation between me and the dummy student that I had simulated a while back.  Would that work for your needs?  Here is a Guide on how to do this:  How do I deactivate an enrollment in a course?

katieb1
Community Member

Hi Chris, 

The students are "inactive," when they drop. I can still see their basic grades and stuff. The problem is that I can no longer search for them in the Inbox. So, for example, I had a student email me yesterday who I had dropped for not coming to class in early February. She's still inactive in "people." To respond to her email, I wanted to be able to refer to the messages I had sent her before dropping, but the Inbox search would not let me search by her name. The messages are there if I scroll down (for the most part, I think), but I'd like to be able to search and see anything we sent each other. 

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @katieb1 ...

Thank you for the additional information.  I think I understand what you mean.  I'm a Canvas administrator for our Technical College, and even though I inactivated a dummy student in my sandbox course, I was still able to search for the user in the Canvas Inbox.  Maybe that is because I am an admin?  If you are unable to use the built-in search field at the top right corner of the Canvas Inbox to search for your student's name, I think the next best thing to do is to use the Ctrl+F (Cmd+F on a Mac) method.  First, though, you'll have to be in your Canvas Inbox and then use the vertical scroll on the left side of the Inbox to scroll down far enough where you think you've had conversations with your student.  Then, use Ctrl+F to search for that person's name.  In Windows, it will show you how many results it found, and you can step through them.  I'm not sure what this looks like on a Mac, but I imagine that it is similar.

Hope this helps, Katie.