cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jakobsen
Community Member

How do I see or add the so-called dummy students to my sandbox course?

Specifically, I have a REAL manuscript in the form of a pdf file that I would like to run plagiarism control on. My idea is to have a dummy student submit it to my dummy Sandbox course . Can this be done?

7 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @jakobsen , I checked into this again to see if I could find a work around, but cannot find a way that you would be able to submit an assignment on behalf of a dummy student added to your class.  I have a number of false student accounts created for training and demonstration purposes, and they work great for this use, but currently you cannot submit an assignment on behalf of a student so even if you were to have a dummy student in your sandbox you would't be able to use this account to submit an assignment.  This functionality is current in product radar (I will link to the idea below) so maybe this option will be available in the future.  We have TurnItIn and I tested whether you could go into student view and submit a document, but at least for me this did not work.  I am not sure if the results would be different with another plagiarism checker but doubt so.  Here is the idea currently in product radar:

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1124-submit-an-assignment-on-behalf-of-a-student 

You might contact the writing center or equivalent at your institution to see if they have a suggestion.  It is common for students to want to submit a document to TurnItIn or one of the other checkers in the drafting process, so frequently writing centers have determined ways that this can be accomplished outside of a standard course.  I know of instances where a separate shell existed where individuals could be added in a "student" role and submit papers for review, and I believe that with many of the plagiarism tools, rather than going through a course users can log in online and submit documents for review as well.  One of these options may fit your needs.

I hope this helps and good luck!

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @jakobsen ‌

If you are logged in a dummy student in your classroom, or you have click "Student View" in course Settings, you are acting as that student. You can submit assignments, reply to discussions, and attempt quizzes - all as that student. Then you can log back in as yourself and grade those submission.

Learn more at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13122-415261153 

I hope this is helpful,

Kelley

rake_9
Learner II

The Test Student cannot, generally, be used with LTI / external tools like Turnitin.  You do need a "real" account of some kind.  If you have a sandbox or practice course, you could enroll a colleague as a student and have that person do the upload for you (assuming your school lets you manually enroll people...)

You might want to contact the IT unit at your school that provides your online learning tools.  I suspect they get this question from time to time and can provide you with the information you need. I'm the person at my institution who gets these questions, and there is likely someone like me at every school. 

If you have direct access to Turnitin (rather than just the LMS-based LTI access), submitting on behalf of a student is fairly easy.  However, our contract specifically states that Turnitin is just for course use.  Researchers who want to check their manuscripts are expected to use a separate product called iThenticate; it does the same thing but the underlying database behavior is different.  Not every school has both products, but your instructional technology staff will know the state of things for you.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

The Test Student cannot, generally, be used with LTI / external tools like Turnitin.  You do need a "real" account of some kind.

@rake_9  (and everyone else)...

That's correct.  To expand on this...the reason for this is that the "Test Student" role in a course doesn't have an e-mail address associated with it.  Turnitin needs an e-mail address to authenticate into the LTI ... otherwise, it won't work.  It's also true that, as an Admin, if you go into a course that is using the Turnitin LTI for an assignment and you are not also enrolled in the course as an instructor, you won't be able to access the Turnitin interface.  In these situations, I always need to masquerade as the instructor so that I can see the Turnitin-enabled assignment.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

It's also true that, as an Admin, if you go into a course that is using the Turnitin LTI for an assignment and you are not also enrolled in the course as an instructor, you won't be able to access the Turnitin interface.  In these situations, I always need to masquerade as the instructor so that I can see the Turnitin-enabled assignment.

Something has appeared to have changed recently...and so I wanted to also post this for people to look at if they want: https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/23639-turnitin-error-where-have-you-gone 

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @jakobsen ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted this question on January 24, 2018.  It looks like you've received some helpful advice from a few members of the Community (including myself).  Have you had an opportunity to review these responses?  Did any of them help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some help with being able to use a "dummy" student to check a document for plagiarism?  If you feel that one of the above questions has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark that person's response as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help with this question, please come back to this topic to post a message below so that someone from the Community might be able to assist you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for quite a while.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Hans.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

jakobsen
Community Member

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your concern. My ultimate problem was to run a plagiarism control on a given PDF file. I did not get a solution to that problem. I had been given the impression that one could use "dummies" to run a plagiarism check via Canvas, which apparently offers some kind of such service in connection with a specific course. The University that I am at has a huge administration and I am very far from the level of admin.

The kind of manuscripts I receive and would like to check are from other universities where I act as a so-called external examiner.

I hope that the Canvas project will add a general plagiarism checker which can be used by everybody in the community and which, why not?, can be applied to any manuscript.

Best wishes, Hans