cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

How do I set the weighting for Attendance in grades?

Jump to solution

I thought the grades would be calculated just from the weighted assignments, and that Attendance wouldn't be counted towards the grades unless I specifically said so.  In fact, I told my students that attendance wasn't counted towards their grades.

However, one of my students pointed out to me that when I updated attendance, it did affect his grade - I think disproportionately.

When I looked into it, I saw that Attendance is automatically added as an assignment column - but nowhere does it say what the weighting of Attendance is, much less how to change it.  I'd rather Attendance not count, or only minimally.

How do I set the grade weighting for Attendance?

Any clues or ideas would be appreciated as I'm closing out the semester.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Surveyor

Laura -

I have a follow up - I found my roll call attendance assignment in one of my other groups.  I can delete it from there.  Furthermore, you can keepthe roll call attendance assignment/column in your gradebook.  Go to the assignments area and create a new group for roll call attendance and give that group a weight of zero( obviously this only works for percentage based grade books) and then move the roll call attendance assignment from whatever group it is in to the newly created group and you are good to go.  I do not know what you can do with points based - this is my first semester with Canvas and I have not used a points based gradebook yet.

I just verified the above in my course - no problems.

Ron

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor

Laura -

That is a very good question.  I about messed up one of my finalized classes by playing around with the attendance feature - not being able to delete the roll call from the grade book is a problem.  I did find a way you can work around your issue if you are using percentage based gradebooks.  If you want them to see their attendance, create your own category and give it a weight of 0.  Put an assignment in the category and transfer whatever grade they have from the roll call attendance to your new column.  Then  in the roll call attendance column, click on the down arrow and select set default grade - give all students a 0 and click on the box to overwrite their score.  Then double click on the roll call attendance name to edit it and give it a score of 0.  I would then mute the assignment and drag it (in the gradebook) to the last assignment spot (before all of the overall category percentages).

If you are using a points based system, you may be able to do something along the same line.

I am just glad I figured out the above since I could not delete the roll call attendance entry.

Ron

Highlighted
Surveyor

Laura -

I have a follow up - I found my roll call attendance assignment in one of my other groups.  I can delete it from there.  Furthermore, you can keepthe roll call attendance assignment/column in your gradebook.  Go to the assignments area and create a new group for roll call attendance and give that group a weight of zero( obviously this only works for percentage based grade books) and then move the roll call attendance assignment from whatever group it is in to the newly created group and you are good to go.  I do not know what you can do with points based - this is my first semester with Canvas and I have not used a points based gradebook yet.

I just verified the above in my course - no problems.

Ron

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks, Ron! 

That worked. 

I created a new Group in Assignments called "Attendance," and set it to 0% of the grade.

Then I went to the "Roll Call Attendance" assignment that was created automatically by Canvas (and lumped into the group "Writing Assignments"!).  I edited the "Roll Call" assignment and moved it to my "Attendance" group for 0%.  Much to my relief, it's now set to 0% and shows up at the end of the assignments in the Grade Book.

*whew*!  Problem solved.

Thanks.

Laura

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

The different options we provide for faculty are to:

• make roll call attendance worth 0 points - you can change the point value
  • go to settings for roll call and change the "Display Grade as" to "Not graded" - this takes it out of the gradebook (what students see) completely.
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Kona,

Those sound like good options, maybe for next semester.  As it is, I had been taking attendance all along, so it was "graded" - I just didn't want the grades to count. 

Highlighted

Kona -

I do not think your answer will correctly solve the issue with attendance.  if you assign a score of 0 to the assignment, then from my limited playing around with the attendance feature gives a value of 0 (using show percent or points) for the attendance score for a student - not very good feedback to the student.  I would rather have a score of 100 and a percent showing of the students attendance - this works as expected.  attend 2 out of 3 classes and have a score of 66.66 unfortunately this adds into the final score for the student.

Also, when I mark the roll call attendance as Not Graded, that column disappears from my instructor gradebook view.

My belief is that the attendance feature needs some serious work

Ron

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

bowmanr@uah.edu​, my suggestions are what seem to work best for my faculty, but for some using the 0% weighted category is another good option. For my faculty they don't think the "grade" for attendance holds any value for their students. This is their perspective and why I made the recommendation to them that I did.

All that being said, I 100% agree with you that the attendance feature needs some work, which is why I created the ​ feature idea request. It would be great if you could vote this feature up! 🙂

Kona