cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jpvang1125
Community Member

How do I start a conversation with an instructor for a class that I am not enrolled in?

Jump to solution

I want to start a conversation with a professor for a class that I hope to enroll in, but am unable to do so. I find that this is also the case if I want to start a conversation with another student with a different class schedule as well. The professor's preferred style of communication is through Canvas. What can I do? 

I have emailed the professor with the sjsu.edu email, but am not getting a response. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cesbrandt
Lamplighter

Hello,  @jpvang1125 ‌, and welcome to the Canvas Community!

I did a bit of searching, and I'm afraid I haven't found anyway to send a message to someone when not directly enrolled in a course with them. At least, not without having elevated permissions.

Users with the ability to see someone else's profile outside of a course will be able to send a direct message to others, but this is not a permission granted by the Student and Teacher roles.

To the best of my knowledge of Canvas, you're only option would be to contact them through a course you are enrolled with them as the instructor or to do so outside of Canvas (e-mail).

View solution in original post

1 Reply
cesbrandt
Lamplighter

Hello,  @jpvang1125 ‌, and welcome to the Canvas Community!

I did a bit of searching, and I'm afraid I haven't found anyway to send a message to someone when not directly enrolled in a course with them. At least, not without having elevated permissions.

Users with the ability to see someone else's profile outside of a course will be able to send a direct message to others, but this is not a permission granted by the Student and Teacher roles.

To the best of my knowledge of Canvas, you're only option would be to contact them through a course you are enrolled with them as the instructor or to do so outside of Canvas (e-mail).

View solution in original post