cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

How do I stop Canvas from auto-refreshing pages?

When reading longer pages on Canvas, like lesson and assignment pages, the page constantly refreshes itself and jumps back to the top of the page. This is extremely frustrating. It refreshes every 8-10 seconds, which makes it very difficult to read anything. I use Microsoft Edge, and I do not have this problem with any other webpages, just Canvas. I have tried to turn off auto-refresh capabilities on my browser but have not been able to locate them thus far. I have checked the settings in Canvas but have not found anything helpful. Is there a setting somewhere in Canvas that I can use to stop it constantly jumping back to the top of the page?

Tags (1)
3 Replies
Highlighted
Navigator

Hello there, desiree.johnson@sjsu.edu Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question.  Although this Guide, Which browsers does Canvas support?, indicates that Edge is a supported browser, it's generally known here in the Community that the preferred browsers to use when navigating around Canvas are either Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.  (This is especially true when it comes time to submit assignments to your instructor.)  I think you will find your browsing experience is much improved when using Chrome or Firefox.  So, I would recommend downloading either of those if you don't have them on your computer.  Or, if you do, make sure you are using the latest version.  After trying either of those browsers out, please come back to provide an update letting us know if this helped to answer your question.  Good luck, Desiree.

Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi desiree.johnson@sjsu.edu‌,

We have had this same issue reported at Utah State University and after investigating the issue it only happens on assignments that have a rubric are viewed in Edge. Something in the rubric causes Edge to jump to the top of the page. We have confirmed that if the rubric is removed the jumping stops, but then the instructor cannot use the rubric for grading. We have filed a ticket with Instructure but there was a previous ticket from last summer describing this exact issue so it doesn't look like it was fixed. In the meantime it would be best to use a different browser such as Chrome or Firefox until the issue is fixed.

Best,

Tyler Clair

Highlighted
Surveyor

desiree.johnson@sjsu.edu,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

0 Kudos