cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

How do I submit an assignment for a student?

Jump to solution

A student was unable to submit an assignment direct to Canvas and emailed it to me (Word Doc).  How can an instructor submit it to the Canvas site for the student?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hello frank.hatstat@bellevuecollege.edu Welcome to the worldwide Canvas Community. We're happy to have you here, and thanks for the question.....which, alas, is a relatively frequent one.  There is currently no way to do this in Canvas, though it is still out there as a Feature Idea that is on the Product Radar and one that can still be voted up and commented upon here:  https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1124-submit-an-assignment-on-behalf-of-a-student .  The only other alternative at the moment is to have the student re-submit it in Canvas (assuming you have not set an "Until" date).

Not the answer you want to hear, I imagine, but I hope it helps a bit.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi frank.hatstat@bellevuecollege.edu,

I don't believe there is away for the instructor to submit an assignment for a student.  Did the student contact the Canvas help desk to have them assist them with submitting the assignment?

I am also going to share this ticket with the Canvas Admins‌ & https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers groups to see if anyone in there has any suggestions for you and how they may have handled this type of issue in the past. 

Brian

Highlighted

Thanks for your follow up, Brian.  I appreciate your efforts.

Best,
Frank

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hello frank.hatstat@bellevuecollege.edu Welcome to the worldwide Canvas Community. We're happy to have you here, and thanks for the question.....which, alas, is a relatively frequent one.  There is currently no way to do this in Canvas, though it is still out there as a Feature Idea that is on the Product Radar and one that can still be voted up and commented upon here:  https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1124-submit-an-assignment-on-behalf-of-a-student .  The only other alternative at the moment is to have the student re-submit it in Canvas (assuming you have not set an "Until" date).

Not the answer you want to hear, I imagine, but I hope it helps a bit.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks for your reply and guidance. I tried to reply in the forum but see that was not designed into it to reply.

Francis A. Hatstat, JD, MBA

Adjunct Professor

This email and any files transmitted may contain confidential information as protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), 20 USC § 1232g and/or Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. § 2510-2521. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution is prohibited. Furthermore, if you are not the intended recipient, please notify me immediately by telephone or return e-mail and completely delete this message from your system.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks again for your follow up.  You are correct.  It is not the answer I wanted to hear but still good info for the future.  I also voted this up as a desired feature.

Thanks again,

Frank

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi all,

It's April 2020 and as far I can see this facility still has not been incorporated into Canvas. I have just started using Canvas, having used Blackboard LMS for many years. On Blackboard it was very easy for an 'instructor' to load an assignment on behalf of a student - which is especially useful when, as an instructor all you want to do is to load an assignment for a student and get it marked for them. It is a real shame this facility is not available on this platform (still almost 2 years since the original enquiry was posted). Do the Canvas people actually take any notice of such suggestions, I wonder?

Richard

Highlighted

Hi, Richard,

This feature is something our product team hopes to get back to this year; they have been working on student assignment improvements and instructor improvements were after that... well, before COVID-19 showed up! Our teams are currently working to revise the roadmap so we can get it back on track and get back to working on assignment features. As soon as we're back up to speed, we'll get it added to our https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas  page, which is where we post all features in development.

Thanks!

Erin

Highlighted

Thanks Erin.

I appreciate your reply.

Regards,

Richard

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Actually it seems from the voting page, that this idea originated from 2015. 5 years now and still waiting, although it has gathered above a thousand votes.

0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels