cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidfriday
Community Member

How do I transfer content from a jenzabar test into a canvas test?

I am trying to copy a test from my jenzabar course into a new course set up this semester in Canvas. How can I move it over?

David Friday

JCSU

5 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @davidfriday and welcome to the Canvas Community.  I don't have any experience with Jenzabar's LMS, but normally what you would do is export the assignment or the entire course to a course export package, then upload this into your Canvas course.  When importing content, you can choose whether to import the entire course or only part of the course.  This document describes the importing process into Canvas, How do I import content from Common Cartridge into Canvas? 

I'm not sure what options for export are available in Jenzabar but most allow for export to a Common Cartridge.  I did find a faculty document on Jenzabar here, https://faq.emcc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/eLearning_2.0.x_Faculty_Guide1.pdf.  It is a long document but on page 616-619 it discusses exporting content.  I don't have any way to test if the directions are accurate, but might this help in your situation?

Best wishes!

nettlest
Community Member

Hi William, 

Yes, you could export your course cartridge from eLearning. From the course, go to the Course Manager/Context Manager>Course Export>Export and download the Course Cartridge. You'd then import the common cartridge into your Canvas Course. If you didn't want all of the content you choose to import "Select Content". 

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @davidfriday ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted your question on October 12, 2018.  It looks like ericwerth and  @nettlest  have provided some good feedback for you about Jenzabar.  Have you had an opportunity to review their replies?  If so, did either of them provide helpful feedback for you?  If so, please feel free to click the "Mark Correct" button next to one of their replies.  However, if you are still looking for some help from members of the Community, please come back to this topic to provide an update for us so that someone might be able to assist you.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you in over five months and also because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since October 18, 2018.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, William.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

My college has just adopted Canvas.  In fact, we are in the process of transferring to Canvas this week.  Our previous LMS was Jenzabar, and with almost 8 years of coursework on that system, I am shuffling everything I can to Canvas via Common Cartridges that were generated from Jenzabar.  

The first transfer step goes pretty smoothly.  Tests, exams, and quizzes populated nicely.  I noticed immediately, however, that upon transfer all of the courses' quizzes and tests, the designations for points, units, and sections had all been "homogenized" into 1-point questions - with no section / unit breakdowns or any sort of organization.  Thus, everything is pretty mixed-up. 

Is there a way to keep the tests' and quizzes' original formatting and point designations intact? 

Please, oh please!    🙂

I am in the exact same boat you are, rowing with one oar, and so far I have not come up with an answer.