cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kmatson
Learner II

How do students view quiz results when they don't take all attempts?

Jump to solution

Faculty member gives students two attempts to take a quiz. Faculty sets the date that students can see their quiz responses. However, if the student only takes the quiz once, not twice, they don't get to see their results. How can we get around that. Students to get to decide if they want to take it twice, they should not be forced to if they choose not to, and it may negatively impact their grade depending upon the way faculty score subsequent attempts. So how do we get around this? No matter what settings we opt for if you don't take that quiz again you don't get to view your results. Please see the screen shots to see more detail.

In the first screen shot we see that the student will get results at a per-determined time set by the faculty.

In the second screen shot we see that the student will not get results because they chose not to take the second attempt.

Why is the UNTIL button not controlling the release of the results rather than the number of times they took the quiz?

Thank you,

Karen Matson

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

You've come across one of the conundrums of Canvas quizzes. If you have the "Let students see their quiz responses" checked then they will automatically see incorrect answers regardless of other settings (except if you're using "only after their last attempt). This actually isn't a change as much as Canvas added the note about "Incorrect questions will be marked in student feedback" because many faculty didn't realize that this is what it was already doing.

Unfortunately the only thing I can think of to accomplish what you want would need to be manually done. These options include (first removing the "only after their last attempt" option):

• Mute the quiz - this would prevent students from seeing the results (including their grade) of the quiz until someone went in and un-muted the quiz.
  • Keep the "Let students see their quiz responses" box unchecked and then go back in and check it when you are ready for students to see their results. This option would let students see their quiz score, but that's it.

I believe that Canvas is aware of this shortcoming and I'm hoping the quiz options/settings are updated with the release of https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-4674?sr=search&searchId=8e127e53-f4fa-467f-a412-79459f6faa6...

View solution in original post

12 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@kmatson ‌, the until date has nothing to do with when quiz results are released. The until date is what prevents a student from taking a quiz, not seeing the results. My guess is that your Instructors have the "Only after their last attempt" box checked. This box prevents students from seeing their quiz results until after their last attempt, so in this scenario it would be after their second attempt. To let students see their quiz results after a specific time you would need to uncheck this box and instead use the "show correct answers at" option. For more information I'd recommend checking out this document - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-3313-quiz-settings-to-maximize-security?sr=search&searchId=...

In addition, if you would like more help interpreting your quiz settings please provide a screen shot of them and I'd be happy to take a look and try to help explain what's going on.

kmatson
Learner II

Kona,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I will include screen shots. Yes he has checked the only after last attempt since that is the only way to keep them from seeing incorrect answers that they then use to determine correct answers rather that learning the material. If there is another setting we are missing please tell me what that is. We don't want them to see anything except a corrected exam after everything closes.

With your production release note you added incorrect questions will be marked in feedback. Yes they are and that is the problem. We want to get away from that.

See Quiz Responses

Only after last attempt

Thank you so much!

Karen Matson

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

You've come across one of the conundrums of Canvas quizzes. If you have the "Let students see their quiz responses" checked then they will automatically see incorrect answers regardless of other settings (except if you're using "only after their last attempt). This actually isn't a change as much as Canvas added the note about "Incorrect questions will be marked in student feedback" because many faculty didn't realize that this is what it was already doing.

Unfortunately the only thing I can think of to accomplish what you want would need to be manually done. These options include (first removing the "only after their last attempt" option):

• Mute the quiz - this would prevent students from seeing the results (including their grade) of the quiz until someone went in and un-muted the quiz.
  • Keep the "Let students see their quiz responses" box unchecked and then go back in and check it when you are ready for students to see their results. This option would let students see their quiz score, but that's it.

I believe that Canvas is aware of this shortcoming and I'm hoping the quiz options/settings are updated with the release of https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-4674?sr=search&searchId=8e127e53-f4fa-467f-a412-79459f6faa6...

View solution in original post

Kona,

Yes I was hoping Canvas would be able to fix that conundrum rather than just adding the words to make sure we understand that students will see the incorrect answer.  We are telling them option two.

Will this be addressed with the new quiz engine?

Thank you,

Karen

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

No guarantee, but yes we are hoping the new quizzing engine fixes this!

Kona,

I have two potential solutions now; of course I have no idea how hard it is to program these suggestions so they may not work but I wanted to throw them out.

The first is having the UNTIL box drive the release of the quizzes rather than the last attempt.

The second is having the option that is available when you limit the number of attempts also available under unlimited attempts. Please see the addition to the screen shot in blue font color.

217633_SeeQuizResponsesOnlyAfterLastAttempt.jpg

Thank you for reading and helping all of us with this issue.

Karen Matson

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I agree the quiz settings in Canvas could use some love and I'm hoping that they get some with the new redesign of quizzes - quizzes.next

More information should be coming soon about what this might look like and when it will be available in Canvas. For now here's a presentation done on it -  

kmatson
Learner II

Canvas there is an even bigger problem this multiple attempts causes by not closing at the Until Date. I am working with a faculty member who has 500 students in her class. Because she gave multiple attempts and some students didn't complete the multiple attempts there is no grade for them. Now at the end of the term because it is a quiz the Set Default Grade is not there so she is manually going through 10 quizzes for 500 students to find the - or null value and changing that to a 0. 

I realize this is different than the see quiz results but it is tied to the multiple attempts thus the reason for my reporting the issue here. If anyone has a better work around please let me know.

Thank you,

Karen

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@kmatson ‌, I'm not sure what you mean about the multiple attempts and until dates causing problems. I use similar quiz settings and as long as students have taken the quiz at least once a grade shows up for them. The only time a grade doesn't show up is when they didn't take the quiz, which no, Canvas doesn't automatically put a zero in for. Am I missing something with the situation? Could you provide more details about what's going on?