cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How do you add a question group in “new quizzes” ?

Jump to solution

How do you add a question group in “new quizzes” ?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

madeline.gorley@lakotaonline.com‌, New Quizzes does not use question groups, which in Old (Classic) Quizzes were used to randomize questions; in New Quizzes, Shuffle Questions is a quiz-level setting.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

madeline.gorley@lakotaonline.com‌, New Quizzes does not use question groups, which in Old (Classic) Quizzes were used to randomize questions; in New Quizzes, Shuffle Questions is a quiz-level setting.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Stefanie,

There are a couple of different things I liked about developing question groups.

1) I liked that question groups allowed me to randomly pick 1 out of 5 different questions options so that most of my students were getting different forms of the quiz. How can I do this in 'new quizzes'?

2) I liked have the ability to group my quiz into different sections so that students were assessed in the order I taught the material. For example, on my last quiz I had a question group for special right triangles, a question group for coterminal and reference angles, and a group for evaluating trig ratios. I liked having the ability to shuffle the questions for a particular group, while still maintaining the order the material was taught. (I did not want ALL of my quiz questions shuffled. For example, I did not want students answering questions about evaluating trig functions before they were answering the special right triangle questions). How would I approach doing this is new quizzes? Again, I do not want ALL questions shuffled. I want groups of questions shuffled.

New quizzes does not seem as flexible as classic quizzes. I am worried that if Canvas decides to get rid of the classic mode, I will lose the features I really like.

Thanks,

Madeline R. Gorley

Lakota West High School

High School Math Teacher

Calculus|Algebra 2|Geometry

0 Kudos
Highlighted

madeline.gorley@lakotaonline.com‌, the instructor can still randomly select a specified number of items from a question bank using New Quizzes, where it is accomplished with a different workflow and without the need for a question group. How do I add all items or a random set from an item bank to an assessment in New Quizzes?  details the process.

I was able to find a feature idea requesting something along the lines of what you've described in (2): https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/3912-add-option-to-display-questions-by-group-in-quizzes 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thank you for help with my question (1).

Question (2) is still unanswered. I looked at the link you sent me, but that post refers to "the option to display one question group (image/scenario/etc. and related questions per page." That is not my want. Currently, groups in the classic mode allow me to shuffle questions within each group, but prevents shuffling the questions of the entire quiz.

For example, classic quiz mode might look like:

Special Right Triangles Group

• Special Right Triangles question 2

• Special Right Triangles question 1

• Special Right Triangles question 3

Coterminal angles Group

• Coterminal Angles question 3

• Coterminal Angles question 2

• Coterminal Angles question 1

Evaluating Trig Ratios Group

• Evaluating Trig Ratios question 1

• Evaluating Trig Ratios question 3

• Evaluating Trig Ratios question 2

I want to group questions like this in the "new quizzes" but can't seem to figure out how to do this without shuffling questions for the ENTIRE quiz.

I do not want all of my topics out of order.

Thanks for helping!

Madeline R. Gorley

Lakota West High School

High School Math Teacher

Calculus|Algebra 2|Geometry

0 Kudos
Highlighted

madeline.gorley@lakotaonline.com‌, yes, as you note, the existing idea doesn't exactly conform with what you've described, and I wasn't able to find an idea currently open for voting requesting that. If this is something you'd like to have the community consider, please write it up as new after reading through How do I create a new feature idea in the Canvas Community?

Labels