cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
efudge
Surveyor II

How do you batch load blueprint courses?

I'm trying to import courses as blueprint courses to avoid manually modifying each course's settings. Can this be accomplished through a batch load and if so, what is the format for the CSV?

16 Replies
stuart_ryan
Community Coach
Community Coach

Howdy everyone,

I had a look through and there are now several API calls that could be used to achieve a level of automation (at an enterprise scale) with Blueprint courses Blueprint Courses - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation.

This would require development understanding (and resources) to put together, but wanted to flag that this may be a possible option if you wanted to explore it further.

Hope that helps!

Stuart

Thanks, I had found this information already but didn't see how to easily mark a course as a blueprint with the API. That shows how to associate (which can be done with SIS as well) but not automatically check the box.

Hi  @wtaylor1 ,

Ahh, gothca, I had another poke in the API documentation for you and that is set on the Courses API. If you jump over to Courses - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation  and do a search for blueprint, you will see on the update a course call you can set the blueprint flag and some associated settings.

Hope that helps!

Stuart

This helped.  Now, I run into an issue that I can't use the SIS ID for the courses but the actual CourseID which is assigned.  I'm trying to find the best way to get this in masses.  I've tried the Account API to pull this information but the issue I have with it is that it won't pull the sub-accounts.  I would love to be able to actually pull all courses in a term (since I'm putting my BluePrints in a particular term) instead of separate accounts.

Hi Warner,

Apologies I missed this, did you get it solved? If not, I would suggest logging a new question and we can dive into it for a look.

Cheers,
Stuart

I saw these but was also unclear is associated courses was the route. Have you tried setting a course as a blueprint by chance?

Hi  @efudge ,

I will admit I have not actually done this myself, was only posing from the theory of the documentation. 

Cheers,
Stuart