cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

How do you batch load blueprint courses?

I'm trying to import courses as blueprint courses to avoid manually modifying each course's settings. Can this be accomplished through a batch load and if so, what is the format for the CSV?

16 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

efudge@sfccmo.edu, I'm not sure of the answer to this question, but due to the technical nature of the question I've shared it with the Canvas Developers‌ group in the Community, as well as a few Community members who've done a lot with Blueprint courses. Hopefully someone will be able to help or get you in the right direction!

Kona

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Was this ever answered?  I will have hundreds of BluePrints when we start using Canvas for the Summer 2019 semester and I don't want to have to manually mark each of my BPs as BPs.  I would love to mark them using the SIS integration.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Last word I received was that this was not an option with scripts. For our blueprint courses, I ran a course script with a "BP_" concatenated to the course prefix/number. And "yes", I went into each course afterwards and manually set them as a blueprint. It took a few hours while watching NCIS episodes but found this easier than relying on lead instructors (each BP course has a lead responsible for course content) to take on this task. If you find something different, please let me know. The blueprint function works great once the course is set.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks Eric.  I've asked the question to the support team because this is going to be a major headache to have to touch everyone of them.  I would love an API or an SIS script to be able to do this. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Might I add, the main reasoning for me touching each one versus setting the availability via role to allow for editing (have to allow edit, delete of blueprint courses option as well as edit, delete of courses option. I'm not a fan of allowing faculty to modify course names, terms, dates, etc. when the SIS is managing this information from automated scripts. I'd still like to know what the table setting is for blueprints and just add that to the course script. This way when new courses are added, a BP course is automatically created. Fingers crossed it will happen.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Does this mean if I want to allow the teachers to associate their own blueprints to the course I must turn this account feature on?  They won't have an account role but they will have course roles as teacher.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Yes, blueprint courses require an Account Role with the two roles of "Courses - add / edit / delete" and "Blueprint Courses - add / edit / associate / delete". Since we have lead instructors for each course, I have an account level role set-up for this group. But I would not personally open this up for all faculty; just my perspective of course.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

I was thinking this was submitted as an idea. I checked and did some searching and could not find this idea. Have you found anything under Studio? If not, let's submit the idea.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I'm new here, but I'll be happy to follow in submitting it as an Idea.  I can't believe that larger schools allow their users to turn this feature on/off if they also have the ability to delete them.  

0 Kudos
Labels