cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
taylor_hall
Surveyor

How do you change the size of an embedded Google Doc?

Jump to solution

You used to be able to drag and make Google Docs larger, but in the past 4-6 months it changed and you are no longer able to do that in the rich content editor. Now you have to use HTML and guess what size you want the document. Why is it not working any longer?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@thall39 r,

Can you get at the HTML? You need to put a width and height on the <iframe>. 

<iframe width=600 height=500 src=......>

Robbie

View solution in original post

24 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@thall39 r,

Can you get at the HTML? You need to put a width and height on the <iframe>. 

<iframe width=600 height=500 src=......>

Robbie

View solution in original post

That's all I found that works. But when you have multiple items embedded it gets really tough. I also have more knowledge than many in my building about computers, so the majority of people would not be okay with this. Dragging though is easier. We used to be able to do this.

Yes, you can change the size, but then you have changed the address and the "embedded" document no longer automatically updates when you make changes to the file.  That is a pain.  Then you must re-embed the document..

I have never seen that happen,  @rmerrill ‌. Please check out Using Google Docs for dynamic Canvas content‌ for additional discussion of how to embed Google Docs in a Canvas page.

That still doesn't address the issue of how the HTML code changes the sizing each time you add something.

Just providing a shared link to the document does work, but it provides everything including the notes section if linking a Google Slide. It is a really clunky error that is still happening when less than a year ago we could drag embedded objects to change the size.

Taylor Hall

6th grade Humanities and Writing

@taylor_hall ‌, I was addressing  @rmerrill ‌'s comment about having to re-embed documents; I can't speak to the change about dragging embedded objects, as it's not something I encountered or know about.  I can see how this could present an obstacle to those who are wary of the HTML Editor.

I sort of feel like you are doubting what happened. So I will tell you that I have already embedded google slides multiple times with no problem.  When I embed a Google doc, it gives a super tiny screen like your blog post said, "Ugh". So I changed the numbers in the HTML code and got a viewing window that was appropriate, but then my updates to the original document would NOT show up on the Canvas embedded document. I kept refreshing the screen. But nothing changed until I re-embedded the document. I didn't see anything in your post you referenced that would help this.  Did I miss something?

@rmerrill , I'm sorry you got the impression I'm doubting what happened, as I absolutely did not mean to convey that sentiment at all;  rather (and I hope this is stated more eloquently), what you've reported here is brand-new behavior that I have not heretofore encountered, and commented in the hope that we can work toward a remedy. Have you asked Canvas Support to look into this?

I'm actually pretty new to this whole Canvas support thing.  How do I ask Canvas support to look into it?