cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

How do you save a video recording that won't save to canvas?

how do you save a video to canvas

Tags (3)
23 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

parkssm2@miamioh.edu, Is this a video you created in Canvas or one you created outside of Canvas and are trying to upload to Canvas? 

Kona

Highlighted
Surveyor

Howdy, I'm not sure if Savannah is experiencing the same problem as I am.  Some students are unable to save videos to Canvas.  They have video assignments, open those and do via 'Record Video', but for some reason, they cannot save them. They can change file names, pretty much it.  These students experience problems at home as well as at school. Could be a wifi issue but why is it such a huge barrier to completing work when it refuses to simply save and turn in? 

The alternative to this issue is to have them record on their phones, save to Drive and then upload to the Canvas assignment. Not what I want as I have a rubric for the video work. 

Highlighted
Community Member

I use a Chromebook. After making sure that Canvas had access to my webcam and internal mic, I recorded a video in Canvas. However, the Save button did nothing. My workaround was to right click in the frame of the recorded video and save the video file to my drive. Then I uploaded it to (within) Canvas and submitted the assignment. Seemed to work well. Cheers!

Highlighted

Curious since you seem to have had success downloading the file first. What was the file extension of the video when you saved it? On my mac, it is downloading without an extension and so won't open or play. If you ever see this message, perhaps you might report back with the file extension you're seeing. Cheers!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

the extension that I get is .webm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good evening, parkssm2@miamioh.edu...

I am reviewing some of the older questions here in the Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted your question on February 4, 2019.  I see that kona@richland.edu‌, jwitulski@lpcsc.k12.in.us, and ddougla7@mail.ccsf.edu all replied to you at various times this past year.  Have you had an opportunity to review their feedback?  If so, did any of their replies help to answer your question?  If so, please feel free to click the "Mark Correct" button next to that person's response.  However, if you are still looking for some help with your original question, please come back to this posting to add a note below letting us know how we might be able to help you out.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" mainly because we've not heard back from you in almost eight months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's okay with you, Savannah.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Learner II

I have had teachers report that students in their class are encountering the same issue in which they are using the media recorder within Canvas to make a video recording, however when they click save, nothing happens. It is frustrating to both the students and the teachers that they are losing work due to the tool not working. 

I am going to share with the teachers some of the potential work arounds, but has anyone identified ways to avoid the issue from occurring?  

Highlighted

Paul, 

We are noticing the same thing in our district. It seems like it was an issue last winter than is back around now. We did not have any issues with this earlier this fall.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I will add myself to this category. This is being reported by my teachers - and we have done everything we can think of. I have tried the right clicking and saving - but the file was not saved. 

I also did the just be patient and wait. That has worked (video was 3 minutes of a blank wall, minimum audio). It took 5 minutes for it to get posted. 

Might this be related to the media server issues/upgrades? I'd ask Canvas support, but I have yet to get through. 

Would love to know if anyone has a solution, or has an answer from Canvas support. 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Labels