cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

How do you separate modules so students are forced to go back to the modules page?

I've noticed that when our students go through our site they can go through every single page without being forced to 'stop' in-between modules. Is there a way to boot them back to the home/modules page once they've completed every page in a given module? 

Without that is is hard for them to know which module they are working on since our modules are titled with learning goals. 

module builder‌ #module‌ 

Tags (2)
10 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi PSEO Department,

I'm sharing this with the Canvas Developers Group, because after some initial exploration, I'm thinking that perhaps a piece of code or JavaScript to 'disable the Next button' at the bottom of each Canvas content item within Modules, might be a solution. If not, the Canvas Developers group might be able to suggest a way to do this.

Highlighted

Or at least a "Begin Next Module" button next to a "Return to Modules" button

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi pseo@umn.edu

An accurate bread-crumb functionality would be a great start to helping students know which module the are in.  I think this feature idea which is currently open for voting, might just be what you are looking for https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/10781-display-module-location-of-item-being-viewed . Check it out, vote for it if it works for you.

However, I am not understanding why your modules are titled after learning goals? Yes, it is highly desirable to keep your students aware and focused on learning outcomes and objectives, but I am thinking that titling your modules in a way that makes more sense to your students would be helpful to them. I always include goals, outcomes and objectives on the first page of each module, and long with an explanation of how the learning materials and activities will help the students achieve them.

Anyways, let us know if that feature idea works for you.

In the meantime, perhaps one of those really smart folks will know a trick to disable the "Next" button on a module content item.

Kelley

Highlighted
Surveyor

I am not sure if this will meet your exact need, but you might look at using Requirements and/or Prerequisites to help control how students move thru the materials.   

Canvas Guide for Requirements: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13134  

Canvas Guide for Prerequisites: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13092-415241433 (Links to an external site.)

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi again, pseo@umn.edu 

I found some additional feature ideas that you might like to investigate.

I agree that it is very important to both control student navigation through a course, and make it easier for students to know where they are and where they need to go. Any improvements in this area are highly desirable.

Kelley

Highlighted
Learner II

You can always lock the module until a date or completion of a certain assignment.

Highlighted
Community Member

One of several templates we built out when first exploring Canvas had a similar goal of having the person go back to the first page in the module after completing each item in the module. The way we accomplished this was to just insert an instance of the first page in the module after every single item in the module. So:

1. Module 1 Overview
  2. Reading
  3. Module 1 Overview
  4. Assignment
  5. Module 1 Overview
  6. Quiz

I think this accomplishes what you want if I'm understanding correctly. I will say, though, that if your Modules page is visible to students, it'll look like a mess to them. Best to use only if you hide the Modules page. We didn't ultimately implement it in any real courses, so I can't say if there were any unforeseen consequences.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Learner II

To echo what john.r.boekenoogen-1@ou.edu‌ said, locking the modules is a straightforward way to make sure students can't progress further than you want. From your initial post it sounds like the main problem you're trying to solve is to let them know which module they're on and when to stop. A content page at the end of each module called "Module 1 Summary," "Module 2 Summary," etc. can do this, too. Not only does it clearly signal the end of a module, but it also gives you a place to provide extra instructions like when they should start the next module. I also really like using a Summary page to explain why students needed to learn what they learned in the current module and how it sets them up/connects to the next module.

Highlighted

Hi Nicholas Jones,

I love this idea of a Module Summary content/wiki page at the end of each Module. This builds continuity, reinforces learning, and preps for what next. What a great instructional design concept that I will definitely share with our I.D. team!

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels