cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

How do you turn off attendance notifications?

I have an instructor who is getting email notifications for each student every time they are marked present in Roll Call. I looked through this doc https://s3.amazonaws.com/tr-learncanvas/docs/CanvasNotifications.pdf but did not find attendance covered. The email says the student has made a submission but I cannot find a notification attached to this particular submission. Does anyone have ideas on how to turn attendance notifications off?

7 Replies
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi dewell.justin@occ.edu‌ - I just so happened to be involved in an earlier question on this very topic today:  https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/18490-roll-call-assignment-grade-change-notifications .  Basically, this tied to the student's grading notifications, since Roll Call Attendance is considered a graded activity, by default.  Though you raise an interesting point about the student making a "submission," and that's a valid concern, since of course the only thing they submitted is their presence in the classroom!  Still, as mentioned in the earlier response linked above, the best thing a faculty member can do is mute the Roll Call assignment in the gradebook altogether so that the student does not receive the notifications. 

Highlighted

Hey kblack@dom.edu, I saw that same conversation as well and checked the instructor's gradebook, but attendance is not an individual assignment to mute. The issue is not students receiving notifications, it is the instructor is notified.

Highlighted

Oh, geez...sorry!  You did say that on your question, and I jumped the gun.  In that case, have the instructor check his All Submissions category in his notification settings.  Yes, I realize this is not ideal since it indeed would turn off all submissions, but give that a try.   But since the magic word in that email that you quoted is "submission," I think that will be it.  Sorry about that....I guess I'm so used to complaints about students getting the notification I'm just tuned to that.  I'll have to stop trying to answer questions late in the afternoon. It is a very rare instructor at my institution, at least, who wants to enable that notification setting, since they get a flood of messages with every submission.

Highlighted

No problem Ken. The instructor currently has his All Submissions settings set to daily updates instead of instant, yet he is getting instant notifications. That continues my confusion and why I don't know if it is tied to submissions in Canvas. It sounds like it is, but his settings would indicate he should have received a single update in an email.

Highlighted

Sorry...a bit busy yesterday with the academic year!  Well, I'm fresh out of ideas. If it's Roll Call Attendance (in Canvas) that we're talking about, simply initiating it should have automatically created a gradebook column by default, so on re-reading this thread that makes it even more puzzling. I've certainly had strange things happen in Attendance if an instructor tries changing the point value, delete it, re-initiate it, and then change other settings, but receiving multiple notifications (right away) has not been one of them.  You don't by chance have a separate (non-Roll Call) attendance function/LTI installed, do you??

Final thought:  through process of elimination, perhaps disable ALL "Notify me right away" notifications for the instructor, one-by-one and test it that way? Perhaps if you have a phony student account you can enroll a temporary (phony) student in the course, mark the student present, and then isolate the setting that way.  Of course, a healthy dose of faculty (and your) patience will be required for this test.

Which leads me to wonder if it may just be time to contact Support.  I'll be curious to hear the answer, though!

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

dewell.justin@occ.edu,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Highlighted

I was not able to find an answer other than having our profs turn off most of their notifications.