cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

How does a student delete a submission to an assignment?

Jump to solution

If I have a student who uploaded the wrong document as a submission to an assignment, how do I tell him or her to delete it?  I know he/she can turn in a new pdf, but how do we delete the old one?  I haven't been able to find the answer on here.

Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, jennifer_gates@sanger.k12.ca.us Welcome  to the Canvas Community! Neither a student nor an instructor can delete an assignment submission. If the assignment must be deleted because it has created a privacy issue, a member of Canvas support can perform the deletion, but generally speaking they would like that request to come from the school's Canvas admin. 

There are sound reasons why Canvas does not allow students to delete assignment submissions; speaking from my own experience, when I was teaching, my workflow would have been seriously impaired if a student could delete a submission after I had spent considerable time annotating it. We encourage instructors to prompt their students to resubmit when they have submitted the wrong assignment or have submitted to the wrong assignment; as Brian noted, the new submission will take precedence in the instructor's view in SpeedGrader. We do have a feature idea open requesting the ability on the part of the instructor to delete an assignment submission, and if you'd like to vote on it and read the conversation around it, please have a look at https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4394-delete-submissions-by-students 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Community Member

I'm not sure that there is a way for a student to delete a submission or for a teacher to delete a submission. Canvas usually leans on the side of saving work rather than deleting it, in the event that it would need to be recovered. When a teacher goes to grade the assignment in the SpeedGrader, the most recent submission will show, so it is somewhat difficult to accidentally view the older submission.

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, jennifer_gates@sanger.k12.ca.us Welcome  to the Canvas Community! Neither a student nor an instructor can delete an assignment submission. If the assignment must be deleted because it has created a privacy issue, a member of Canvas support can perform the deletion, but generally speaking they would like that request to come from the school's Canvas admin. 

There are sound reasons why Canvas does not allow students to delete assignment submissions; speaking from my own experience, when I was teaching, my workflow would have been seriously impaired if a student could delete a submission after I had spent considerable time annotating it. We encourage instructors to prompt their students to resubmit when they have submitted the wrong assignment or have submitted to the wrong assignment; as Brian noted, the new submission will take precedence in the instructor's view in SpeedGrader. We do have a feature idea open requesting the ability on the part of the instructor to delete an assignment submission, and if you'd like to vote on it and read the conversation around it, please have a look at https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4394-delete-submissions-by-students 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

That answers my question perfectly. Thank you!

Jennie Gates

Highlighted

You're welcome!

Labels