cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

How does an instructor add another faculty as auditor?

An instructor want to give another faculty member access to her class materials on Canvas. What is the best way to do that?

2 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor II

Hi Sherri,

Some of this can depend on how your institution has things setup. If they want to give them access to the course during the semester but doesn't want them to be able to touch anything having an Admin enroll them in the course as an teaching assistant‌ or observer‌ might be best.

If the instructor just wants them to be able to access the material to then import into a course they will be teaching what we do is will make a master course for the new instructor and then copy the content from the other teachers course into the newly created master course for the other instructor to use. 

Then you can always use canvas commons‌ for sharing of material.

You have many options it's finding what works best for your school and scenario. 

Highlighted
Adventurer III

Hello there, sherri.tennant@colorado.edu...

I have been reviewing older questions in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted this question on July 6, 2018.  It looks like bneporadny@southcollegetn.edu responded to you later that day.  I would agree with much of what he has stated already.  The ability to enroll other users in your course is a permission that is determined by the local Canvas administrators at your school, so you would want to check with them (we do not allow our faculty and adjuncts to enroll users in courses, for example, as we handle enrollments mainly though an automatic process via SIS import).  Did Brian's response help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for additional help with this question?  If you feel that Brian has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark his reply as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some assistance from members of the Community with your question, please come back to this thread to post a message below so that someone might be able to assist you.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we have not heard back from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for over five months.  However, that will not prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you.

Brian briefly mentioned a "master" course, and so I thought I would also provide you with a blog post I wrote a while back called Our Custom "Viewer" Role for "Master" Courses which you can find over in the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/admins group here in the Community.  You could certainly talk with your local Canvas administrators to see if they have a "Viewer" role (or something similar) set up so that they could use that role to enroll the additional person into your course.  Just a thought.

Looking forward to hearing back from you soon, Sherri.

0 Kudos