How does the Enhanced RCE reduce clicks?

stooatwork
Community Explorer

[skip to below for actual question]

After looking at the 'Enhanced RCE', I noticed that many of the available commands that used to be one click away are now buried in sub-items in the menu. Thinking back to my basics of web design almost 30 years ago, I remember learning that the fewer clicks users need to perform to achieve their goal, the better, so the Enhanced RCE seems to break this rule.

Additional clicks required by Enhanced RCE: 20 (table below)

To change anything within a web-based editor, the user must select the item they wish to change (e.g., text, image) then engage in visual search to find the feature in the toolbar then perform a click or series of clicks to affect change on the item.

This involves:

1. Moving their eyes from the thing they'd like to change to the toolbar in general
  2. Engaging in visual search to find the action they'd like to perform
  3. Moving their cursor to the found item on the toolbar 
  4. Clicking the item to affect change

Every one of these actions causes a slight delay as the user searches for an acts upon User Interface elements, and this does not become automatic for expert users. This is why the reduction of clicks for users to achieve their goals is one of the most basic rules of web design.

In educational settings, many users, including teachers and students may not consider themselves experts at technology, and may become easily frustrated by more clicks and inability to find tools. In common word processing tools such as Word or Google Docs, which form the basis for experience for many educational users, the text editor toolbar usually presents all of these options in once place, similar to the existing RCE. 

As a case, this change in Rich Content Editor (RCE) currently planned by the Canvas LMS actually presents many points for slowing a user down (barriers). As the Enhanced RCE hides many features under sub-items, this may force users to have to click on items to explore and find what they're after if they're not sure of its location, or if the icons are not intuitive for them.

If a user is attempting to create a piece of content within the system that contains all of these elements listed, this means they are slowed down 20 additional times than they would be using the current RCE.

I guess my question here is "Am I missing something? Does the Enhanced RCE make the creation of content in canvas faster and easier? If so, how?"

I also find it interesting that even on this platform, many of the items listed below are one click away, and yet for the production version of the product itself, barriers are being put up for users. Anyone else feel the same way?

Clicks to access these commands

TASKBASIC RCE ENHANCED RCECLICK CHANGE
Set Heading22-
Bold text11-
Italicize Text 11-
Underline Text11-
Clear Formatting12+1
Left Align11-
Right Align12+1
Centre Align12+1
Supertext11-
Subtext12+1