cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

How does the 'adjust events and due dates' work?

Jump to solution

When copying a Canvas course to a new course, how the 'adjust events and due dates' function would work?  How would it know how to adjust the due dates or events' dates?  Would it ask me to what date I want to adjust an assignment in the new course? If this is so, then what is the difference with shifting dates?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Member

Hey rramirez@collin.edu​,

With "Adjust events and due dates" it looks at the start and end dates for the source (original) course, and the start and end dates for the destination (new) course. It changes all the dates to be as close to the same place in the new time frame as they were in the original time frame. I believe it tries to keep them on the same days of the week, and this is where "Shift dates" comes in. This lets you move things that were previously on a Monday, to a Tuesday, etc.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello rramirez@collin.edu​...

Have you had a chance to review this Canvas Guide?  How do I adjust events and due dates in a course import?  Hopefully this will answer some of your questions.  If not, please post additional information so members of the Canvas Community can help.  Thanks!

Highlighted

Hello Chris Hofer,

Yes, I have read it before I asked the question. After reading it, it was still not clear to me how Canvas adjust the dates. At first, I thought 'Adjust Events and Due Dates' was a different function than 'Shift Dates' (because in the page you are suggesting to read, the first sentence states, "As part of a course import, you can adjust the due dates... You can also shift due dates...", which means we can adjust and "also" shift... therefore, it seems to be talking about two different functions). When I received your message, I went ahead and read it for a second time. After reading it for a second time, now it seems that by clicking the checkbox for 'Adjust Events and Due Dates', it will give us the option to manually do the adjustment of either shifting the dates or removing the dates.

I still found it not clear how it does the adjustment during the process of importing or copying a previously created Canvas course to a new Canvas course. During the course import, I can adjust the dates by clicking the checkbox for 'Adjust Events and Due Dates'. Is it going to import and then stop at every single assignment to ask me to adjust or shift from a previous date to a new date? or is it going to import or copy to the new course and then after finish importing, is it going to ask me to specify the new due date? Which, in this case, what would be the difference of not adjusting the dates? I mean, I can import first, and then later adjust myself the dates without clicking the checkbox for 'Adjust Events and Due Dates', right?

And also, in the same page you are suggesting to read, to "Set Beginning and End Dates", I need to specify the beginning date, followed by "change to" date. And then, do the same with "Ending Date". This is really confusing me. If I am importing or copying the previous Canvas course to a new Canvas course, wouldn't it copy the original "Beginning Date" and original "Ending Date"? Why, then, do I have to specify it again? And, shouldn't I just have to indicate to what new date I need it to be changed to?

All of the above are the reasons of why I was asking 'how does it work?'

RDRamirez

Ruben D. Ramirez, M.D., Ph.D.

Collin College

2200 W. University Drive

McKinney, TX 75071

RRamirez@collin.edu<mailto:%20RRamirez@collin.edu>

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

rramirez@collin.edu, now that you have reviewed the guide, and rather than having someone here try to describe the process for you and attempt to anticipate any questions you might have, you will probably benefit far more from seeing it in action for yourself. You can easily do that by trying the date adjustment feature out in your test instance. To navigate to your test instance, use the URL [yourschool].test.instructure.com. You can then walk through the entire course import process in a safe environment without impacting your live courses in any way.

Highlighted

Stefanie,

ok, I'll do that.

Thanks,

Ruben

Highlighted
Community Member

Hey rramirez@collin.edu​,

With "Adjust events and due dates" it looks at the start and end dates for the source (original) course, and the start and end dates for the destination (new) course. It changes all the dates to be as close to the same place in the new time frame as they were in the original time frame. I believe it tries to keep them on the same days of the week, and this is where "Shift dates" comes in. This lets you move things that were previously on a Monday, to a Tuesday, etc.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your reply and the explanation. It was very helpful. Now I understand it better... that is why there is two functions, meaning "adjust" and "shift". I tried it in the sandbox shell and yes, it was as you said it. I am ready to import my real Canvas course from fall semester to the new spring semester real shell.

Have a great week,

Ruben

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

For anyone interested in this topic, be sure to RSVP to the CanvasLIVE event Adjust all assignment due dates on one page, which is coming up this Friday, January 13, 2017. RSVP “yes” if you will be there--and if you’re interested, but your schedule doesn’t allow you to attend in real time, RSVP "no" or "maybe" to receive all event updates. Your RSVP ensures that you will receive a notification should the event be cancelled or changed.

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels