cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

How does using Canvas for remote learning practically look like for K-1? Are there any sample canvas "classrooms" for these grades we can look at?

Canvas has amazing features, but is not easy to navigate for a five year old.  We are using this K-12 for our district, and I'm concerned how it will look for my first graders and for our youngest learners.   Most of them cannot read nor type.  We have used peardeck with Google Slides in the past and created one slide show each day for them to click through and record with their iPads directly onto the screen.    Have there been early ed teachers who have used Canvas successfully?  It is hard right now to wrap my mind around how it would look and most the training is not geared towards this age group.  Thank you. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Learner II

Hi Victoria -

This is definitely possible! There was a similar conversation that was started recently that I think you'd enjoy: https://community.canvaslms.com/message/203054-kindergarten-help 

I think another thing that would really make a difference is the visuals throughout the course. You could create buttons with very clean and color-coded icons. That way, students know to press the book/red button to get to reading activities. If you use modules, you can use emojis (cut/paste or windows+.) to help students navigate. 

For families, you can utilize headings on pages and activities. The Heading 2 settings with an icon in front of it will help everyone find the important parts of the materials. For example, a small lightbulb with the Objective heading could signify the main learning goals or a checkmark could show details about timeline etc. (I'd be happy to take a screenshot of something I do with my classes, if you'd like.)

On any page, you as an instructor can embed a video. I know it would take some time, but recording yourself or a teacher's aide with the instructions could be personal and help everyone know what to do. Even in the instructions at the end fo the video of "now press the 123/blue button to open our practice sheet" would allow students to feel pretty independent.

With any assignment, students can record audio or video to talk about submissions. Those comments can be replied to by you in the same way. Smiley Happy The Canvas Student app makes it pretty easy as well.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions. While I teach grades 9-12, I have experience designing for littles too. 

Highlighted
Community Member

Thank you Kristin!  These are very helpful ideas and resources!  I'm feeling  more confident on how to simplify/adapt  it for little ones as I see other examples too Smiley Happy We'll  really rely on creating images/buttons that link them to the assignments/videos/lessons.  I think that'll be really important!  As well as creating a video of what to do.  Once I get the hang of it, I think it will be great (I love for example they don't have to go outside the Canvas platform, things are linked and embedded into it instead of always opening up new tabs).  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Learner II

Hi Victoria --

I'm glad that this helped! Smiley Happy

To get started, there are also some free templates:

Teacher Appreciation 2018 | Home Page Templates

2020 Course Design Essentials: Home Page & Sample Module Template

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Learner II

One more idea : Have you explored Canvas Commons for ideas? Many teachers share resources and home pages!

What is Canvas Commons?

How do I use Commons?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Canvas has a creative website but I don't believe it would be easy for K-1 .

0 Kudos
Labels