How exactly does canvas determine when a user has lost focus from the tab?

Jump to solution
ConfusedPanda
Community Member

I would like to know exactly how canvas determines this.

For instance, if a user has clicked on the scroll bar on the side of the browser page to show the rest of the page's contents, and did not click back on the page itself, does this register with canvas as a user clicking out of a tab?

Or, if a user clicked on a new question, but did not attempt to answer for a long period of time, is this then also registered as loss of focus?

Another example, if a user has connectivity issues, is notified about a loss of connection by canvas, but remains on the page, and a connection is reestablished sometime later. Could this be considered by canvas as losing focus from the tab in question?

The last two examples in particular seems to be a contested, as I have found some saying on this forum that inactivity (while remaining on the tab) is considered lose of focus by canvas

If possible, please provide more detailed answers than is provided here:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-view-a-quiz-log-for-a-student/ta-p/580

As the description to me seems vague.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
astro-guy
Community Explorer

This question of just what  triggers a "stopped viewing" incident and a  "resumed" is an important one that, though discussed elsewhere, https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Question-Forum/Quiz-log-interpretation/td-p/109054  , does not seem to have been definitively addressed. One would think there would be equal numbers of "stopped" and "resumed". There  is not. One would think that to type on the quiz page one has to view it. That also is not clear. Perhaps some of these issues depend on the user's software?

I have a student quiz log that shows instances of "stopped viewing the quiz page" and "resumed" with all answers to all questions occurring during the time in between - see attached. This pattern shown repeats about 30 times in the full log. Does typing an answer not require viewing the quiz page?  Can a student be flipping back and forth between answering a question and viewing (searching in) other tabs with no record of that activity in the log? Or in some circumstances can typing the answer in a box trigger a "left quiz page" message?

Do the many repeats of "answering the question" reflect the operation of the autosave feature?

View solution in original post

0 Likes