cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbickelburton
Community Member

How many courses can be seen in the Dashboard?

Jump to solution

How many Canvas Course cards will display in the Dashboard and/or in the Courses list at a time?  Is there a way to modify the number - such as view all or select specific courses?

If possible please link to where to find the answer?  OR, did you discover your answer by testing / expereiences?

Thanks! We are new to Canvas and learning

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Per the response by Instructure on this guide - How do I use the Dashboard? (New Canvas UI) - "all the courses you have favorited will show up on your dashboard."

View solution in original post

7 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jbickelburton , I checked a couple of different guides and didn't see a specific number listed anywhere. I then went in and added every course I could possibly add to my dashboard (24) and found that on the dashboard and the course list only 21 showed up. I played around with my screen resolution and this didn't impact things at all, so my best guess is that the max number is 21.

You might want to add a comment to this guide - How do I use the Dashboard? (New Canvas UI) - asking if Instructure would add this information (to make it official) to the guide.

Hope this helps!

I posted a comment and linked it back to this question and a related Dashboard question.  Hopeful that Instructure will update the documentation to proved a clear answer or options.

Thank you, Kona.  Yes it helps.  However, I cannot mark this as a correct answer until Instructure clarifies this information.

Steve_Watts
Explorer III

Hi jbickelburton

I thought the limit was 25 but I've just carried out a quick test and my result was different from what  @kona  observed. On our test environment, I enrolled my account on a large number of courses then gradually added them to my Dashboard. (By going into Courses > All Courses and highlighting the star icon for the ones I want on the dashboard.)

I was able to add 50 courses but after that it was very noticeable that the dashboard was slow to load. Once I'd got to 60 courses, trying to view my dashboard caused the browser to freeze. So it's still not clear if Canvas imposes a definite limit but my advice is to be discerning and only add the courses you use most often so that it doesn't affect browser performance.

Interesting results! I'll go back in and see if I can add more if I do it slowly! 🙂

Thank you for doing that experiment, it was thought-provoking for us because we had found that once we got over 20 courses on a dashboard some course cards just disappeared from the dashboard.  They were still accessible via the courses menu but not as course cards on our dashboard.  Then we noticed that some users could have more cards on their dashboard than others.  We will come back at you once we figure that one out.  LOL.

Hi @philip_gregory,

What I've found is that if a teacher never favorited any courses, only 20 (max) course cards can be on their dashboard. Adding them to new courses will remove some of the current courses, so there are never more than 20 at one time.

If the teacher has favorited as little as one course, then only favorited courses will appear on the dashboard.  Then you can have a lot more courses on the dashboard, but at a certain number it will slow screen load time, it's been suggested that number is 50.

I think that's the explanation.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Per the response by Instructure on this guide - How do I use the Dashboard? (New Canvas UI) - "all the courses you have favorited will show up on your dashboard."

View solution in original post