How to Change a Canvas Quiz Total Point Value?

Jump to solution
asnyder11
Community Member

How can I setup a quiz to have a "base" point value like +10 for all students?  I understand how to work with Fudge points, but that does not change the total point value of the quiz.  For instance I want a quiz that is out of 28 points with question values to have an additional 12 points added for a total point value of 40 points.  I will take away points from the 12 points based on my examination of the student work and know I could do this in fudge points.  I can't find a way to make the total points out of 40 instead of 28.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @asnyder11 ...

In classic Quizzes, the only way to change the total points of your quiz is to modify the number of points for each question.  Once you modify the points for each question, the overall total of the quiz will be updated.  There is no way to just modify a "Total Points" field in classic Quizzes because it is adding up the total of all points for all your questions in the quiz.

In New Quizzes, you should be able to create a set of question (let's say 28 questions at 1 point each).  Then, you can modify the assignment (quiz) details to increase the total score to 40 points...keeping each of your 28 questions at 1 point each.

If you do not have New Quizzes available to you at your school, you will need to talk with your school's local Canvas administrator or someone in your school's Online Learning/eLearning department to see if they have enabled it yet.  Some schools have not done so, and your school might be waiting a bit longer to enable New Quizzes for you and your colleagues.

I hope this will help, Angela.  Please let Community members know if you have any other questions.  Thanks.  Stay safe...be well.

View solution in original post

0 Likes